View Single Post
pixiedust72

Member Since Feb 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Sep 12, 2024 at 06:03 PM

Going through a bit of a rift with my therapist.

For background, I had multiple hospitalizations and an aborted suicide attempt last year. I deal with depression and more recently anxiety. I have seen my therapist for over a year now.

In our last session, my therapist let me know that because I was making progress we would be going down to biweekly (every other week) sessions. Ok. I am totally fine with this. But in the session when she told me this I had a complete breakdown. I said that it was probably due to other stuff coming up and not necessarily because of her decision to reduce sessions. I am sad that we have less time together as I’m moving in January anyway (out of state). I find myself being really angry with my therapist and not feeling as close to her anymore. I’ve loved our time together but I feel both judged and punished for doing better. I was really starting to feel happy when I did weekly therapy. Now my depression is coming back. I feel like I said or did the wrong thing and therefore caused her to believe I didn’t need therapy as much anymore. I also have a very stressful job and it can be hard to handle especially without a therapist. It rubbed me the wrong way too that she said that I was having this reaction because I get triggered when someone sets a boundary with me. I don’t think that’s quite a fair comment to make and even if it’s true I feel there are more delicate ways to approach that conversation. Overall the past couple sessions have just made me feel horrible about myself and I’m wondering if I should just quit therapy altogether. I don’t feel that my therapy work is done but I feel like maybe my therapist has taken me as far as she can. Any advice would be appreciated.
pixiedust72 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AnaWhitney, ArtieTheSequal, LonesomeTonight, ScarletPimpernel, SquarePegGuy, Taylor27