Member Since Feb 2015
76.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 21, 2024 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletPimpernel View Post
It is so complicated! And confusing.

I know that she knows that everything is not okay. We confirm that with our hugs and many other times. She still knows that me leaving, permanently or for a break, is still on the table.

In fact, my pdoc put in a referral for me to see a therapist in her company. I got an email yesterday saying I wasn't a fit and so they gave me another referral. That referral said they had no openings. But with the last referral they listed what my pdoc said about me. She said I was a "complicated" patient. 1. Ouch! That's pretty harsh and judgemental. 2. I'm sure therapists look at that and go "no thanks".
Hugs, Scarlet. I'm glad your pdoc is trying to do referrals. I'm sorry about the "complicated" comment and understand why it would hurt.

Could it help to think of it in the sense that your pdoc wants to find a therapist who is skilled enough to give you the support you need? Rather than someone who might see you a few times, then terminate because they feel out of their depth. Like some T's want to just work with, say, people who feel a little anxious in social situations or are have a relatively mild stretch of depression. And/or might not be willing to do any outside contact or meet more than once a week.

I say this as someone called "complicated" by my own T recently. In the context, it made sense, and I felt almost positive about him saying it. This was maybe a month ago, in talking about trying to figure out whether I'm bipolar 2, borderline, both, or neither. I said something about not fully fitting the criteria for either (but some of both). And Dr. T said, smiling, in an affectionate tone, "You're complicated, Lonesome Tonight." (like using my full real name).

I'm not sure if this helps at all! I'm just saying how it's not necessarily a critical thing. I still don't think your pdoc should have worded it that way or that the T should have told you about it. Do you feel you could ask your pdoc about it?

Thanks for this!
LostOnTheTrail, ScarletPimpernel