View Single Post
Discombobulated
Elder

Member Since Oct 2019
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Yesterday at 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone for telling me about your experiences.

@comrademoomoo thanks for asking, I think I’m still formulating my opinion, it’s been a mixed bag.

I did NHS talking therapy in 2012, 6 weeks of weekly 50 minutes sessions, it was helpful. I’m now 3 weeks into my most recent NHS talkie therapy sessions, it’s been quite different.

It’s 4-6 weeks of 30 minutes sessions, my first therapist was working with CBT base, she used some of the techniques (questioning, mindfulness) , but no formal homework as such, it was more relaxed, those sessions were slower paced and reflective. It helped me process some things I think. This time it feels much more like training, a lot of print outs, homework, technique based.

It’s not exactly inflexible because the therapist did say not every technique will work for everyone, actually a lot of cbt techniques I’ve been given I find …. Patronising for want of a better word, but I do find value in some of it.

The first therapist from 2012 seemed more focused on me, this therapist (much younger and that’s not necessarily a problem but I do wonder about life experience) seems to consider me but mostly focus on delivering CBT. The sessions actually only last 20 minutes I notice, I’ve had 3 sessions and she’s suggesting that she thinks it’s enough. To be fair one of my issues is I always present well, I’ve been like that my whole life, but I can be crumbling inside. Maybe I present too well to her?

My husband had a probable life changing diagnosis this week, I’m trying to cope with that for him and me. I’m not saying CBT doesn’t have its place in all this but it feels like it shouldn’t be the only approach. That said, I accept that’s probably all that’s on offer with the NHS. If only we could tick a ‘no CBT’ box

What I’m reading with all of you is that paid therapy is a more appropriate option for many of you.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote