Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Sep 2010
23.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 27, 2024 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Cherry Jam View Post
Peter Attia, the author of Outlive, explains it in very simple terms.

The goal is to limit calorie intake.

There are three ways to do that.

One is to directly limit it. Eat less. Smaller portions.

Another is to avoid certain foods (carbs, fats, whatever) which will indirectly limit calorie intake

The third way is to limit the times when you eat, also known as intermittent fasting or time-restricted eating (TRE) with certain time windows when you are allowed to eat. Most likely, unless you consume a whole lot when you are allowed to eat, this practice will indirectly lead to reducing calorie intake.

Which of these three approaches is best for you is a matter of personal preference to be determined by trial and error. There is no magic in intermittent fasting beyond this indirect effect of limiting calorie intake. It has many devotees but in reality it is not a magic trick. So I agree with Travelinglady: this approach does not seem to work for you and your best bet now is to try different approaches.

May I also ask if you know your baseline? Before you try any interventions, it is a good idea to first learn where you are without any interventions. Armed with a set of measuring cups and spoons and a kitchen scale with a tare function, you can figure it out by eating whatever you are accustomed to eating over the course of several weeks and recording your intake in an app – they abound. It can be an eye opening exercise and it is likely to better inform you before you embark on any kind of intervention.

Good ideas! I like the eating very small portions of something like sweets. I'm making a piece of cake last for four days!
Travelinglady is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
nonightowl