View Single Post
MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,992 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Today at 12:47 PM

I think the NP that dx'd me knew I had a lot of trauma background before I even knew it (or at least recognized that some parts/the general gist of my childhood may have negatively affected my ability to handle life). She took the picture of what growing up was like for me out over time with occasional questions like "how did your parents get along?" and "does bipolar/substance use/alcoholism run in the family?" (yeah, I'm pretty sure my dad has had manic episodes and I know for sure he uses) then overtime I remembered more and realized that maybe it's a sign things weren't great if you think of your mom raising you and think of a locked door and being yelled at for not doing what she wants when she wants and how she wants.

I was already having nightmares a lot and she knew that but I woke up panicking followed by feeling stupid for being afraid of xyz, and I just thought I was too sensitive.

At one point she got a list of symptoms and we went through them, and I have too many. She also printed out a packet on CPTSD because I have more trauma responses than what you'd expect from a limited-duration traumatic experience and I think the "add on" symptoms like emotional dysregulation and constant shame apply more than any "regular" PTSD symptoms like flashbacks and being easily startled.

But, yeah, a good mental health person will help you figure that out. A GOOD one.

It's a good thing that it's bringing up tough emotions though. If you have a reason to feel a certain way, it's healthy to feel that way instead of separating yourself from that.

Hugs from:
raspberrytorte