Child of a lesser god

Member Since Jun 2015
12.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 10, 2024 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenNoodleSoup View Post
My mom decided to ride out Milton together with my dog in her apartment in Florida. They live in apartment building in a place way above sea level. She apparently took part in a community room "countdown" like for new year's eve for landfall. Her area is not flooded, and by now she has power again and the sewage plant is working. Water was always okay.

I do not understand her staying still... a huge storm that might have flooded her whole area for days or worse just went randomly a few miles South so it didn't bother her as much... I'm glad the people were very stick together kind of guys. They seem to have a text system in place for each other, the whole building is working together even though there's no big problems.
When I was little, a big hurricane (Fran? Gloria? Don’t remember) hit the East Coast. To get people on the Jersey Shore to evacuate, police were going door to door, and if told the homeowner was planning to stay, bluntly asking for the name and address of their next of kin.

It seems a pretty common human impulse, to deal with imminent danger by ignoring it. Of course, I’ve gone for miles-long walks voluntarily through the eyes of two hurricanes and -15F weather with no ill effects, so I may biased.
atisketatasket is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, WarmFuzzySocks