View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
7,672 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Today at 01:37 PM

I feel your pain. There IS such a thing as sound sensitivity, having to do with being born with a hypersensitive nervous system.

I'm the same way. There are certain sounds that are unbearable to me, such as this neighbor's truck. It's SO loud and it startles me when he starts it. I actually dropped the tv remote once.

Jackhammers, screaming kids, a certain dog's bark in this building, garbage trucks, UPS/FedEX trucks which are noisy, etc. I could make a long list but won't. Some sounds are emotionally triggering, bringing up some bad memory even from decades ago.

It seems it gets worse as I get older yet I'm sure I was always like this. Like you I wear earplugs, necessary at bedtime. And sometimes during the day. I use sound machines too but they aren't enough. And making them loud enough to try to muffle other sounds is a competing sound. So more noise.

I don't know what to do either. Sometimes I tell myself the noise WILL end at one point. The problem is I don't know when. But it does stop, sooner or later. People don't even hear what I hear, and they say stuff like "Why can't you just ignore it?" My mood can also make certain sounds bother me more than usual.

Sometimes I wish I was deaf too. My building has very thin walls and it's like an echo chamber. I also have good hearing, which is a curse living here.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote