Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
76.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 12, 2024 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
I think there are many ethical ways to terminate. Many reasons for one to leave their job

If she decides not to return to work to care for her children full time, or if she all together quits her job, change her career path, goes back to school, if she moves out of the area, if her family needs her, heck if she develops health problem or becomes independently wealthy or need a better paid job because she becomes a single parent.

No one can force anyone to work forever even in the caring career path.

She does need to offer resources and send referrals. But she can’t be obligated to maintain her clients for life. I know it’s hard to accept that it’s a job, not just a relationship.

She’s not trapped because working this job is her choice. But she could make a different choice. It’s not against the law as long as it’s done properly

Want to clarify what I said, in light of your comments here. These weren't the sorts of things my T was talking about in terms of termination. I'd understand any of these things that happened--well, I might struggle with them, but I told ex-T at one point, who was in her early 70s, that I wouldn't consider retirement abandonment. Same if a T were to move. Or had to stop seeing clients temporarily or permanently due to their own health condition or that of a family member, Or if they changed careers.

I was thinking more in terms of, if my T were to continue working, in the same location, seeing the same sorts of clients. But where would tell me specifically, individually, that he was no longer willing to serve as my therapist. And that it was unilateral and non-negotiable. (Not like, "You need a higher level of care; later, when you're in a better place, you can see me again.")

Just wanted to clarify that.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ScarletPimpernel