View Single Post
xRavenx
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2016
8,144 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 13, 2024 at 11:02 AM

My mom can be really overbearing. I am approaching my late 30's. She will ask about how I am keeping up with the garden and my household. It is generally clean (I clean regularly), but at times "lived-in" when life gets busy, and I never had a significant problem with clutter. I admit I am terrible at gardening and would like to be better. Other people have said the house looks good, but when my mom came over last, she said it looked horrible and shamed me. I was not prepared for her to come over and did not get to tidy up.

Ever since, I have been hesitant to have her over. It has been almost a year. I still see her, just not at my house. She said she expects an invitation and for my grandmother to see the house. My boyfriend now lives with me, and she will find a way to say he does not do enough to help with the house and has been critical of my relationship in that way. When she starts to get that way, I hang up the phone on her and tell her not to cross boundaries. She never listens.

I battle with feeling I should live up to her standards, but it is impossible for me to do so. I struggle with depression and working a demanding job. Sometimes that gets in the way of being able to keep up with things as much as I would like, and same goes for my partner.

I am wondering if I should continue to delay her coming over. She brought it up to me again today. By having her over, I think I'll be putting myself in a position where this can lead to problems with my mother and her trying to get in the way of my relationship. Her criticism and the argument we had last time she was over affected me a great deal.

Any help, support, or feedback is appreciated. Thanks
xRavenx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FloatThruThis, ogyogm, unaluna