View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,294 hugs
given
Default Today at 04:46 AM

I get you are being funny (or at least I hope so) but on a serious note I’ve met some people perpetually confused or outraged or scared of “foreigners” (doing mundane every day things but in a “foreign” manner). It doesn’t even matter that perceived “foreigner” is actually American, naturalized or born here. But for them we are all forever foreigners, as soon as they hear your accent or see you looking different or doing something that somehow is “disrespect to locals”. Lol

I know people who travel for work often have to wipe their cars before meetings because it’s just a bad look to show up in a filthy car after long commute. I don’t travel for work but I commute through a long chain of road constructions and my car needs wiping if I go to something important after

So even if it’s a joke, it’s sadly not an uncommon sentiment.

Oh and I gave a good friend, Italian immigrant, although not in NJ. She has multiple examples of people alluding indirectly or making very direct jokes about Italians being in Maphia. Right to her face. She shared that it’s painful every single time. It’s maybe funny but on their expense.

Ultimately stereotypes are painful, not funny though
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
mote.of.soul