View Single Post
Peanuts

Member Since Dec 2003
Default Jun 27, 2008 at 05:45 PM

Absolutely the teacher - child compatibility makes a very big difference. I would try and determine what is different from summer school and his KG experience. Make a list. Pay attention to the lights in the room, windows, any strong smells, number of children, noise level, etc. Also pay attention to how much is demanded of your child. Is summer school more relaxed ??

My son has sensory integration dysfunction and strong smells as well as blinking lights used to bother him. Just imagine for yourself how you feel when you hear a song played over and over that is irritating to you. It just adds to everything else you have to deal with.

Take notice of what your child is wearing. My son only wanted to wear short sleeve t-shirts - even in the winter. When forced to wear a long sleeve shirt ... oh boy, chances were good that he would have a blow up of some sort.

Since your child is entering 1st grade you have probably already put together his IEP for next year. ?? Take a copy of your child's IEP and show the Dr's treating your son for Tourettes and anxiety and mood disorders. The professionals working with you and your child privately can help a great deal in identifying useful behavior goals to start with on the IEP. Each goal should be measurable - meaning that you can't just say "jonny will behave". It has to be specific such as "Jonny will transition to art class keeping his hands to himself 3/5 times". Assuming that the class transitions to art class once a day 5 days a week. So you are starting out with a modest goal for Jonny to be successful 3 out of the 5 days.

I.E.P.s will be updated regularly and as a parent you can call an IEP meeting at any time. As a child masters a specific goal, the next step is to up the percentages until the goal is completely mastered.

The school will not keep your child on an IEP if the need is not there - it is too costly for the school district. It would not be a good idea to remove the IEP based on one summer school experience.

Make sure the IEP behavior goals are appropriate and then monitor through the coming school year.

I'm so glad your son is having a great summer experience !! Hopefully, he will take that good experience with him into 1st grade.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote