View Single Post
denmother

Member Since Jun 2008
Default Jun 29, 2008 at 05:33 PM

My son is 14 and suffers from depression, low self esteem and social anxiety. He used to have several close friends but as they got older they drifted away and made other friends. My son makes no effort to call anyone or make new friends and when he gets a rare call from a kid to hang out he declines. He is an only child so he's used to playing alone but I worry. He has made comments about how he hates himself, hates his life, etc. I don't know if he thinks about suicide but he had mentioned it several times in the past, no plan -just tries to scare me I think. He's just starting puberty, a late bloomer compared to alot of kids his age.

I know this kid belongs in therapy but he won't go. We've tried and he just won't cooperate with the therapists. He had a psychiatrist who prescribed zoloft, he took it for 2 yrs but it didn't help so we stopped. I just hope its something he will eventually grow out of as he matures. His depression is affecting his grades, he doesn't care about school, doesn't see the point in anything. It's like he feels life has no meaning.

Can someone help me decide what to do with him, any suggestions would be appreciated. He starts 9th grade in Sept. and I'm afraid for him. Thanks for listening.
denmother is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote