View Single Post
Anonymous81711

Default Jul 14, 2008 at 03:23 PM

A moment of compassion.

A moment of good energy.

Do you take a moment each day to send out good energy to the whole world? The planet, the people, whatever you choose..

I have decided to take a moment out of each day and spend five minutes just sending out good energy. Good thoughts, wishes for the world to heal, wishes for the planet to heal. For us to evolve into a human race that is caring, kind and peaceful.

I think and envision a world where there is no war, a world where we all get along, where we respect each other, the environment, and even the animals around us. Even if we choose to use those animals as food, i think we can do so in a thoughtful and kind manner.

Sometimes the world can be an overwhelming place. So much negativity going on, that we miss the simple things that are so beautiful. I watched a childrens program today called "what if the world was a village". It was REALLY interesting. It basically took a cross section of the world, 100 people, and showed the differences and the sameness.It showed how it would be broken down. And i realized just how lucky I am to be living where I live with the luxuries I have.

Here is a link to the original childrens book:
http://www.amazon.com/If-World-Were-.../dp/1550747797

The idea was taken from The State Of The Village Report which was a comparison of the same. Its here - be warned that it does mention war and some other triggering things.

STATE OF THE VILLAGE REPORT
If the world were a village of only 100 people, there would be:
60 Asians,
14 Africans,
12 Europeans,
8 people from Central and South America, Mexico and the Caribbean,
5 from the USA and Canada, and
1 person from Australia or New Zealand.
The people of the village would have
considerable difficulty communicating:
14 people would speak Mandarin,
8 people would speak Hindi/Urdu,
8 English,
7 Spanish,
4 Russian,
4 Arabic.
This list accounts for less than half the villagers. The others
speak (in descending order of frequency) Bengali, Portuguese,
Indonesian, Japanese, German, French, and 200 other languages.

In this 100-person community:
80 would live in substandard housing.
67 adults live in the village; and half of them would be illiterate.
50 would suffer from malnutrition.
33 would not have access to clean, safe drinking water.
24 people would not have any electricity.
Of the 76 that do have electricity, most would use it only for light at night.
In the village would be 42 radios, 24 televisions, 14 telephones, and 7 computers
(some villagers own more than one of each).
7 people would own an automobile (some of them more than one).
5 people would possess 32% of the entire village’s wealth, and these would all be from the USA.
The poorest one-third of the people would receive only 3% of the income of the village.
The following is also something to ponder...
If you woke up this morning healthy ... you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the fear and loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture,
or the pain of starvation ... you are better off than 500 million people in the world.
If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep ...
you are more comfortable than 75% of the people in this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ...
you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
If you can read this, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.
This material is copyright-free. You may reproduce it.
Original version by Donella H. Meadows
More info at www.odt.org/pop.htm

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, it becomes both evident
and vital that education, acceptance and compassion are essential for the progress of humankind.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote