View Single Post

Default Mar 10, 2005 at 06:08 PM

Fear also has to be answered, because for many it paralyzes them with inaction. Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of looking bad, fear of having others make fun of us for trying. Only you can identify the particular fear that is feeding your procrastination and understand the basis for it. Some fears can be easily addressed, but others may require more assistance from your counseling center or a therapist. Fear holds many people back in many aspects of their lives, but it is something that can be conquered. Usually the first step in addressing your fears, however, is to identify them and seek assistance in overcoming them.

I identify with this paragraph very strongly. But my fear is never of the physical kind....I can, without hesitation, get in a rodeo arena with a 2000 lb brahman bull, with 14 inch horns, and photograph the ride..I can drive any vehicle that I can crawl into. I can drive across country, with only my dog, hauling my life to another destination...I can shoot a water moccasin and never blink an eye...I even got on a brahman bull one time to shoot a photograph from the cowboy's point of view and the bull's point of view.....now here comes the kicker.....I can't show my photographs because of fear. Fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of fear....To walk in and ask someone for a job causes me to perspire and tremble....fear of rejection...The fear I felt when I recently went to a psychiatrist was unbelievable.....total cold fear. So, if I could just harness the physical power that drives me and put some of it into my mental fear, would I be okay?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote