MissCharlotte
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2007
28 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 19, 2008 at 05:54 AM

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
id this make you sad, that your T didn't recognize the positives that therapy has brought?

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

Well, actually Sunny it made me panic that unless I saw the positives he was going to kick me out of therapy. I know, ridiculous, but there nonetheless. What I know this morning is that he was simply saying out loud what he wants us both to keep an eye on (the good stuff). He did this because the other sessions this week were incredibly painful for me as I integrate traumatic experience from my childhood.

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
MissC, it seems your T was quite reflective this session and dropping some bombs. What does it mean? Does he want your therapy to move into a new phase? A more positive phase?

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

I'll tell you Sunny, I think it means that he was trying to be empathic while helping me to see that there is a future for me out there---a world for the new, integrated me. I think he was helping me to hold onto the fact that the trauma was in the past and that he and I are in the now. Sigh. What a difference a day makes. I awoke feeling okay about all of this, so as a person who is working on relying on her feelings I have to assume this is a good thing! And as far as the statement about marriages goes, I just had a lightening bolt thought--I think he said that because he wants to empower me. He wants me to realize that as an adult I hold the power to make changes in situations that are not good for me whether it's therapy or anything else. Whoa. I don't think he was saying that therapy is bad--just that I have my own power to change things now because I am an adult.

So he is challenging me to hold onto two parts of myself simultaneously--the wounded child and the empowered adult. Can I do this?

[/url]
MissCharlotte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote