Thread: parenting tips?
View Single Post
chaotic13
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2007
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2008 at 10:53 PM

* I think remembering to be constructive, not punitive when dealing with their short comings. ADHD suffers (most people in general) don't need to hear how they screwed up. What they need is some helpful ideas on how to avoid the mistakes in the future. If other ADHD sufferers are like me... I hear a lot of criticism thought out the day both from myself and others. We really don't need to hear more, positive constructive comment are much better received.

* Above all do not continually make comparisons to siblings who are not afflicted with the challenges of ADHD. I hate to hear statements like, "Mary doesn't seem to have a problem remembering where her pencil and paper are? "Joey, is able to sit still and behave in church." NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!

* I think trying to identify what specific thing causes difficultly and address this issue. If it is following through with instructions, then take time to break things them down into simple steps, pause to check for understanding, and then praise them for completing the step before moving to the next step.

Be focused and deliberate yourself when attempting to help them stay on task. Many times when situations blow up or spin out of control in my house it is because I was not attentive enough in nipping things in the bud. Multi-tasking does not work well when dealing with ADHD, IMO.As much as it totally sucks sometimes to take the 10 minutes to sit down and attentively supervise homework, it is so much better than putting them alone at the kitchen table and coming back an hour later and only to find that they haven't even started yet.

"Joy is your sole's knowledge that if you don't get the promotion, keep the relationship, or buy the house, it's because you weren't meant to.You're meant to have something better, something richer, something deeper, Something More." (Sara Ban Breathnach)
chaotic13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote