View Single Post
Simcha
Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2008
Default Aug 03, 2008 at 02:25 AM

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Teenie331 said:
I recently acquired my psychiatric records for transfer to a new doctor out-of-state. I thought I was Bipolar II, but the diagnosis my psychiatrist wrote every visit was Mood NOS (R/O bipolar).

What does that mean? I know the "Mood NOS" indicates a mood disorder not defined in the DSM-IV, but was he trying to rule out bipolar every time he saw me? In this context, does "R/O" really mean something more like "maybe?"

I'm confuzzed.

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">
Confused... well that's common. I'm confused all the time
Your doctor wrote shorthand that says "Mood Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified, Rule Out for Bipolar Disorder"
He thinks you have a Mood Disorder, more than likely in his mind, Bipolar Disorder (many kinds of Bipolar which we can include Cyclothymia here or under broader category of Mood Disorders). Mood Disorders are Bipolar Disorders, Major Depressive Disorders, and Dysthymia (aka Dysthymic Disorder). So he thinks you have one of those, but he can't specify.

He just meant he couldn't pin it down.. and depending on how long you saw him for, I either would or would not be surprised. If you saw him for awhile, and he still didn't know, I'd think he was a quack.
Did he refer you, or did your parents refer you to a new one?