View Single Post
Bomeara

Member Since Sep 2008
Book Sep 02, 2008 at 03:03 AM

My daughter has just turned 13 and is bright. When she was much younger she scored in the 96 percentile in an IQ test. She is now entering 8th grade. However, she consistently has mediocre grades. She is well adjusted, has plenty friends and enjoys life. When I got her last report she received one A, two b's and the rest of her report card consisted of C's. When I met with her teachers they told me that if she worked just a little harder she could receive almost all A's. They said she hands in her work late, talks in class and is more interested in the social aspects of school rather than the academics. I now have an opportunity to send her to a very prestigious high school but she has to pass the entry exam first. She does not want to attend this school - she says she would have to work too hard. She says I am pressurising her and making her unhappy. Her dad says a little pressure wouldn't hurt her. Attending this school would be a wonderful opportunity for her but I cannot motivate her. My questioning her school work and asking about homework is causing a lot of tension between us and we are contantly arguing. Does anybody have suggestions about how I can persuade her work at school and avail of the opportunity that has been presented to her, and to make her realize how working now could improve her whole future.
Bomeara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote