View Single Post
Typo
Elder

Member Since Feb 2008
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 02, 2008 at 07:21 PM

I'm not a parent, but I see alot of similar stuff in this post that happend to me in high school. For me school was always just too easy, except for math where I still struggle with, I got bored in class, or if I wasn't interested enough I just wouldn't do the work. My mom had plenty of parent teacher confrences where she would hear how I would do better if I just put some effort in it. I wish I had now, because if I had worked to my full potential in high school I could be going to a big universtiy with my friends and not a the local community college, not that there's anything wrong with the community college, it's acutally a really good school to start at, but I already have four of my basic classes out of the way. Maybe you should explain to her that by doing good in high school now may not seem important but that it will open doors in the future, explain to her that by keeping grades up and doing good academically she will be have more choices when it comes to college and better chances at scholarships. As for the really prestigous high school, well talk that over with her, see if maybe part of the reason she doesn't want to go is that she's scared and doesn't want to leave her friends. If she doesn't want to go then forceing her to go will further strain your realtionship with her and possible mess her up academically if she won't do the work. Plus would she have better chances at scholarships at her current school? That is something to definatly look at. I hope you and your daughter are able to talk this out and that the strain is taken off of your relationship with her.

Best Wishes
Silver
Typo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote