KathyM
Elder

Member Since Jun 2007
2,073 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Oct 15, 2008 at 02:56 PM

((Muffy & son))

The school should have called you. It's tough at that age, especially when he's that big. If you get too involved as a parent, it can sometimes backfire - i.e., he might get even more grief if it appears his parent has to fight his battles for him.

When my son was young, I used to get mad at my husband because he constantly messed with my son. They'd be calmly watching TV together, then my husband would smack him in the stomach - real fast and real hard. He'd keep doing it until my son caught his hand. Then they'd run through the house chasing each other, knocking things and each other over.

I put a stop to it one day because it all sounded so violent. My son came to me privately and asked me not to because he enjoyed "playing" with his dad. I'll never understand men.

During high school, what happened to your son happened to my son - A LOT. However, no one was able to land a blow because he was able to catch their hand in mid-thrust with a killer grip, and it always took the offender by surprise.

There is only so much the school and teachers can do when it comes to behavior. It would be nice if they addressed the issue of behavior towards classmates to the entire group of students - without singling out your son.

In the meantime, would your son be interested in taking some martial arts classes?
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
muffy