View Single Post
Rhapsody
Wise Elder

Member Since Jan 2006
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Help Nov 10, 2008 at 03:11 PM

I have a little situation going on and would really appreciate some input from both males & females.

My 18 year old son started college two months ago and he has been working at Winn-Dixie for the past year while he was a senior in high school.... now the problem.

My son is thinking about quitting his job due to his five day a week college schedule that leaves him with no life out side of school when he is off, as he works on his only two days off from school.... and he drives a hour to school and a hour home every day which leaves him with little to no time for any social activity with his girlfriend / friends on school days.

My husband is very upset (showing great disapproval) at the thought of my son quitting his job... as he feels that a job helps build character in a young man and he thinks my son is trying to take the easy way out (lazy way out in my husbands words) and this is creating strife in the household.

I personally feel that my son was going to keep his job until he started college and then would quit when the work load at school became heavy.... which is about to happen - so I am ok with him giving his two week notice when he is ready... where as my husband is about to blow his top.

How do I help my husband to see that what my son is doing is alright and that his college education should be our sons main concern and that he will get a job after school is over in two years.

BTW- we took out enough money via a personal loan for our son to be financially set during school, so the job is not needed for income... our son could live on campus if he desired to, but he wants to stay at home right now so he is close to his friends / girlfriend / family.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote