View Single Post
AAAAA
Elder

Member Since Oct 2007
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 28, 2009 at 02:39 PM

There is a huge difference between spanking and beating. I believe in spanking. It has it's place. I too used it as a last resort (when they were older 4 or 5) or when "no" wasn't enough when there was something that could hurt them. It is my belief that you should never dole out any discipline in anger. Even scolding a child while you're angry could result in saying things in the heat of the moment you do not mean. When something came up that made me angry, they were sent to their room and we dealt with it when I was calm.

I did not see my children as victims when I spanked them. You ran out into the street, you know you're not supposed to do that, you get a swat on the butt. With things like that you do what I say PERIOD.

I also think that any discipline needs to start with an explanation of offense and end with a declaration that you love the child but the behavior in question was not acceptable. Children do not think in terms of consequence of the action, but they sure remember "if I do this I'm going to get spanked." So if they avoid the action just to avoid the spanking, I don't care. They're safer.

I believe the difference in our crime rate and that of Asia's is that there is an aspect of respect and honor there that many parents here do not instill in their children. Children need to respect authority and behave.