View Single Post
AAAAA
Elder

Member Since Oct 2007
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Thanks so much for responding Perna, and that's exactly what she said.

Actually she still is a teen, she graduated from school early. She won't be 20 until next October. Which is another problem, her classmates are older than she, both of the girls that she's planning on living with are over the age of 21. If they have a party with her present, she gets and Minor in Possession whether she's been drinking or not. This ticket then goes on her driving record (for reasons that escape me) and the cost of insurance would mean she loses her driving privledges until hell freezes over.

I understand that she needs to make her own mistakes, but we left her a great deal of money at the beginning of the school year, thinking it would last her until spring break. She had managed so well the year before, we gave it to her in a lump sum. When she came home at Christmas she was broke, she went through it all and had not even done her Christmas shopping.

Now this would have been a lesson she could learn and I would still feel comfortable that she'd still have all of her basic needs met. She'd have to manage until Spring Break with no money in her pocket except the money she earned working over Christmas Break. We purchased a meal plan that includes various on campus resturants, coffee shops and even a student C store that carries toiletries and cleaning supplies. She'd have to walk to her classes or take the on campus bus. I was thwarted however, she now has credit cards, grrrrrrrr! NOT the lesson I wanted her to learn!

We just don't have the extra money to give her for such a huge increase in living expenses. I was so disappointed in her lack of research on the subject. When she brought it up earlier this year we asked her very specific questions such as what do we pay now for housing, what are the average utility bills in the area, etc. The campus is in a northern climate and the heating bills can be more than rent. I know she heard me because the house they're looking at has heat and water included. I know the answers to those questions, I just wanted her to figure it out too. I would have been happy if she'd just told me the difference between the cost of her housing and the anticipated rent. But she didn't even do that, it wouldn't be that hard for her to figure out, the bill for tuition and housing is emailed to her, all she had to do was look at it and divide by the appropriate months. If she can't do that basic research how in the heck is she ready to set up a house and manage those funds?