Thread: Kids
View Single Post
reach

Member Since Jan 2009
Default Feb 13, 2009 at 03:01 AM

I could agree with you about all the impracticalities of staying outside of campus but does she know this and does she knows it clearly in her head what she is getting into.

She is over 18 and could make decision on her own without your approval. However, on your part, you have the right not to support her financially other than what you approve of.

On the other hand as parents we want to maintain good relationships with our kids therefore have to be very mindful to handle the situation tactfully.

It might help if she could see the list of disadvantages living outside of campus. Put all the costs involved in details and all the inconveniences and security issues concern (plus the possibility of getting into minor in possession and all the subsequent hassles it brings)

I am sure she would have a list of advantages for you and it's good to be open to that. You both could sit down and look through them.

In any case, if I am the one paying for her, then I will be the one to decide where she stays. However, if she insists to move out, I will not stop her but I will not pay more than what I have budgeted for her under my preferred arrangement.

My daughter (age 12) has been asking for a mobile phone. I told her if she wants one, she will have to be the one to do research and provide me with the cost and plan. Only from then, I will look further into it and decides. As long as that is not done, there will be no further action.

I think if you intend to support her financially, you have the right to insist on research and feedback before you take it further. Even if she is paying for herself, it helps to encourage her to do all that as this is part of life skills.

Lastly, if she still persist, perhaps it's good to let her try it out and see for herself but I definitely refrain from enabling her or bill her out of any situations. In fact it would be a good idea to address that before issues come out. Be clear about how far you would go and let her know where you would draw the line.
reach is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote