Thread: Teenagers & Sex
View Single Post
serafim_etal
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2005
Location: In my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
Default Mar 02, 2009 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAA View Post
= And if you think you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to deal with the consequences, which may include a lecture from your mother.
Or it may include being thrown out of the house, being severely beaten, or even being considered "fair game" for sexual abuse in or even out of the home. These are things people don't like to think about, or even consider part of every day reality. But this IS reality for many, many kids and teens.

Talk to the kid/teen involved (not just your own child). They've made an adult decision, treat them that way. Whether or not they are actually adult is not the issue. Automatically running to the other parent(s), in my opinion, does a couple things. The first is, it teaches the kids/teens involved that you (and other adults by default) can not be trusted! Completely undermining any openness you have fostered. Whatever the reaction of the other parents, you very well may firmly shut a door by doing that. The other is as I stated above. Horrific abuse is every where, it is hidden well, and it is deadly. I was not kidding or exaggerating in my first post on this thread. My arm was broken when I missed curfew by 5 minutes...I don't want to even think about what would have happened had I been having sex and had some parent tell my parents!