Thread: Teenagers & Sex
View Single Post
beutifulxdreamr

Member Since Mar 2009
Shocked Mar 08, 2009 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
If you found out that your teenage child was having sex would you call the parents of the other teenager?
Simple answer, yes, yes I would. While sex is a natural part of life, the parents of the other teenager need to have the opportunity to talk to their child about this. Sex shouldn't be hidden or just swept under the carpet. It needs to be talked about openly so that these teenagers can make the best life decisions possible (I think the scariest thing for parents about sex is the possibility of pregnancy). BC definitely needs to be an item of discussion.

I would do it in order to prevent something like this from happening:

http://jezebel.com/5153854/alfie-pat...-take-dna-test

Moreover, if the teenagers are educated on sex, I assume they are educated on the laws that go with sex. If they are willing to take the risk and perform what one would technically call "illegal" sexual acts, then that is their decision. I also assume they understand the consequences of that decision. If that is the case, then they knew the risks, weighed them, and did it any way. This possibility is something they may have expected and should not be sheltered from. We always talk in ethics class about how, in choosing an action you also choose the consequence of that action. Also, none of us can predict another person's action or reaction. I will tell you that I thought my dad would flip when I played a practical joke on him on grandparents day (sending him a letter saying "guess what?" with a baby on the front). But he called me and was actually disappointed to find out that I wasn't pregnant (I was 20 at the time). His response was the exact opposite of what I was expecting. I don't think we can deny others the opportunity to rise to the occasion - to prove our expectations wrong. That's just my personal opinion, though. And as others have said, more probably needs to be taken into consideration... like if the other child has extremely abusive parents and would likely get beaten if they found out (again, I don't think you can predict something like that, but I would hate to be the one to spur all that).

I'm sorry you are in this situation. I'm glad you are getting advice though. (((Rhapsody)))
beutifulxdreamr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote