advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Concerned about closing myself up to people again

I do envy a lot people who find easy to engage with people, meet and connect with them easily. Join groups to do different kind of activities.
Iím just the opposite for obvious reason stated in my signature.
Lately, when I donít feel depressed, I have been trying to open up to people. Itís worthy because you feel like you belong to the human race at least a little.

Two experiences have happened that made me lose my confident.
One is the fact that the few people I have met and I saw them as possible friendship, people around me donít trust these relations or have their reservations about these people. As if they had a hidden agenda in regards to the relation with me. It makes me doubt because Iím a very insecure person and easily influenced as to what relations concerns. Indeed I cut off the relation with one of these persons and I felt so bad when I ran into her some days ago.

Then, thereís the problem that I had recently an experience that makes me question how hard I have to connect with people.

It is all making me want to withdraw of trying it. And it would have a very negative effect. I know it because Iíve already experienced it.
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 04-28-2021, 02:46 AM   #2
Cestdidie
Junior Member
 
Cestdidie's Avatar
Cestdidie has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2021
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 21
2 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

I relate to what you wrote about feeling anxious about making connections, and joining social groups/interactions.
I have recently thought the same thing, "maybe I should just close myself off to everyone?". But, as I read your message, I felt inside of me that it might just hurt more. We all need to feel that we are loved and appreciated. Just be kind with yourself and take it one step at the time. If you feel too anxious about joining an activity, then maybe do something smaller. But should always be something you feel capable of doing / comfortable with.
Feel free to message me if you want to talk further.
Cestdidie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cestdidie View Post
I relate to what you wrote about feeling anxious about making connections, and joining social groups/interactions.
I have recently thought the same thing, "maybe I should just close myself off to everyone?". But, as I read your message, I felt inside of me that it might just hurt more. We all need to feel that we are loved and appreciated. Just be kind with yourself and take it one step at the time. If you feel too anxious about joining an activity, then maybe do something smaller. But should always be something you feel capable of doing / comfortable with.
Feel free to message me if you want to talk further.
Thank you for your kind and warm reply. People like you make this all counts.
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 05-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
AceRimmer
Member
 
AceRimmer's Avatar
AceRimmer has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: US
Posts: 234
5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

I've got enough money saved to live like a hermit until social security kicks in.. It's seriously tempting.
__________________
The Universe needs an Ace
AceRimmer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Hobbit House
Magnate
 
Hobbit House's Avatar
Hobbit House Listening in silence...
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 2,037
5 yr Member
806 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

I have a hard time making connections with other people. They never seem real. I am lucky that my wife has similar issues as me so that we keep each other company. Anxiety and panic attacks really are hard to deal with.. good luck!
__________________
ďThen what is your advice to new practitionersĒ?
ďThe same as for old practitioners! Keep at it ď.
Ajahn Chah

Bipolar 1
PTSD
Social Anxiety Disorder
Panic Attacks
Parkinsonism
Dissociative Amnesia


Abilify 15mg
Viiibryd 40mg
Topomax 100 x 2
Clonzapam.05mg x2
Depakote 1500mg
Gabapentin 300mg x 3
Wellbutrin 300mg
Carbidopa/Levodopa 25mg-100mg
Hobbit House is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit House View Post
I have a hard time making connections with other people. They never seem real. I am lucky that my wife has similar issues as me so that we keep each other company. Anxiety and panic attacks really are hard to deal with.. good luck!
So good you found a like-minded person. It definitively makes the difference, somehow they makes us being more connected with the world.
Iím very happy for you.

Thanks for your insight!
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 05-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
I've got enough money saved to live like a hermit until social security kicks in.. It's seriously tempting.
I can figure it. I live as an hermit myself.
I got my retired in 2018. I couldnít cope with the stress and depressions that my insecurities created. What I can do? Iím such a weak person. So different to people like you and others.
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #8
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever
 
Fuzzybear's Avatar
Fuzzybear has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Cave.
Posts: 92,214 (SuperPoster!)
15 yr Member
74.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cestdidie View Post
I relate to what you wrote about feeling anxious about making connections, and joining social groups/interactions.
I have recently thought the same thing, "maybe I should just close myself off to everyone?". But, as I read your message, I felt inside of me that it might just hurt more. We all need to feel that we are loved and appreciated. Just be kind with yourself and take it one step at the time. If you feel too anxious about joining an activity, then maybe do something smaller. But should always be something you feel capable of doing / comfortable with.
Feel free to message me if you want to talk further.
Good post. Hugs and respect to you
__________________
Fuzzybear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-10-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
mssweatypalms
Member
 
mssweatypalms's Avatar
mssweatypalms is searching for something.
 
Member Since: May 2021
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 227 (SuperPoster!)
441 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

These pandemic restrictions have been somehow comfortable for me since I don't have to meet people. I'm not saying that's a positive thing at all. Before the pandemic, I've tried showing up at meetup groups and singles parties. I'm also uncomfortable around many people and I get extremely exhausted after being to such meetings. Sometimes, they go well, sometimes not. Every now and then, I found myself regretting meeting people when I'm back home. But thinking about it again now, the more I tried, the less hurt I was when things didn't go well. Why did I do it even if it was uncomfortable? I'm honestly not sure. I guess I still have a little hope in my heart that somewhere out there, I can find people I can truly connect with.
mssweatypalms is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
Lizzie1813
Member
 
Lizzie1813's Avatar
Lizzie1813 Iím doing my best.
 
Member Since: Jul 2020
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 170
205 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
I can figure it. I live as an hermit myself.
I got my retired in 2018. I couldnít cope with the stress and depressions that my insecurities created. What I can do? Iím such a weak person. So different to people like you and others.
Youíre not weak. Youíre strong even if you donít feel like you are. Youíve reached out for support here, and that takes courage. Iím proud of you for asking for help and sharing your story. Youíre not alone.
Lizzie1813 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
Lizzie1813
Member
 
Lizzie1813's Avatar
Lizzie1813 Iím doing my best.
 
Member Since: Jul 2020
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 170
205 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssweatypalms View Post
These pandemic restrictions have been somehow comfortable for me since I don't have to meet people. I'm not saying that's a positive thing at all. Before the pandemic, I've tried showing up at meetup groups and singles parties. I'm also uncomfortable around many people and I get extremely exhausted after being to such meetings. Sometimes, they go well, sometimes not. Every now and then, I found myself regretting meeting people when I'm back home. But thinking about it again now, the more I tried, the less hurt I was when things didn't go well. Why did I do it even if it was uncomfortable? I'm honestly not sure. I guess I still have a little hope in my heart that somewhere out there, I can find people I can truly connect with.
I understand how you feel. There have been times when I could only leave home if it was requiredÖpharmacy and doctorís appointments. With COVID, others have had to stay home, and thatís helped my feelings some. Itís like Iíve had an excuse. Finding connections can be a challenge, I agree. Sometimes I wonder if thereís something wrong with because when Iíve tried to make friends, those people just arenít interested in making a connection. I can relate to being exhausted after meeting people in groups. For some of us, itís almost like a chore to try to connect. I hope youíre able to make connections here and elsewhere. Message me if youíd like to talk more.
Lizzie1813 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Discombobulated
Poohbah
 
Discombobulated's Avatar
Discombobulated has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,484 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
4,181 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

@AzulOscuro how are things going for you at the moment?

I agree, you are not weak. Some of us struggle in this area but it's not weakness I believe. There can be many reasons why we struggle, as many different reasons as there are different people possibly.

You wrote "people around me donít trust these relations or have their reservations about these people. As if they had a hidden agenda in regards to the relation with me. It makes me doubt because Iím a very insecure person and easily influenced as to what relations concerns. Indeed I cut off the relation with one of these persons and I felt so bad when I ran into her some days ago."

Would you like to talk more about this?
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

I met a woman and her doggie while being in the park with my doggies. From the beginning I saw she was also a crazy of animals like me and she was very open to me. Very extrovert.
She was even opened to share time with me, go to have breakfast with our doggies. I invited her to take something and she invited me. Each time she came to my city contacted me to meet us. She even invited me to spend days with my doggies in the Community she lives.

My partner thought she was trying to seduce me or something. As my partner is very sociable and has lot of experience dealing with people, I began to have doubts and I couldnít let aside that idea from my mind and I stopped messaging her.

I donít want to blame my partner.
It all comes from my stupid lack of experience and my insecurities. I canít connect with people. Iím sure about it. My personal qualities are not appealing at first sight, to say the least, thatía why I tend to hide myself in my own world. This woman was like fresh air for me, to be honest.
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-16-2021, 06:55 AM   #14
Discombobulated
Poohbah
 
Discombobulated's Avatar
Discombobulated has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,484 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
4,181 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
I met a woman and her doggie while being in the park with my doggies. From the beginning I saw she was also a crazy of animals like me and she was very open to me. Very extrovert.
She was even opened to share time with me, go to have breakfast with our doggies. I invited her to take something and she invited me. Each time she came to my city contacted me to meet us. She even invited me to spend days with my doggies in the Community she lives.

My partner thought she was trying to seduce me or something. As my partner is very sociable and has lot of experience dealing with people, I began to have doubts and I couldnít let aside that idea from my mind and I stopped messaging her.

I donít want to blame my partner.
It all comes from my stupid lack of experience and my insecurities. I canít connect with people. Iím sure about it. My personal qualities are not appealing at first sight, to say the least, thatía why I tend to hide myself in my own world. This woman was like fresh air for me, to be honest.
@AzulOscuro I am uncertain why your partner thought this woman was trying to seduce you from what you describe this sounds an everyday interaction between 2 women? You both love dogs and it sounds like you had a lot in common?

I have a female friend, extrovert, dog owner, and she has met several friends in the way you are describing. They walk dogs together, hang out, get breakfast sometimes too. It sounds nice to me? Did your partner say why he thought she was trying to seduce you?

Btw I think you are (in your posts here) an interesting, thoughtful, intelligent and humorous person - I can see why someone would seek your company.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #15
Ruby2446
Junior Member
Ruby2446 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2021
Location: Ireland
Posts: 14
6 hugs
given
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
Thank you for your kind and warm reply. People like you make this all counts.
I so understand your feelings on this im very bad at connecting with new people and keeping connection I made,I can express my self here or on other on line stuff but I seem to bore people in person and they drift away,both my husbands I met not face to face so we kinda knew one another before we met.
I don't have confidence in my worth so I'd say I sell myself short I avoid social situations unless I know people ,but my circle is very limited mostly family and I feel if I could push myself to show people the real me I might have more success in connecting maybe we need to connect better with ourselves first to be able to project how special we are to others, im trying mindfullness and meditation to seek understanding of myself and hope that in time my confidence in meeting and connecting will grow,
Ruby2446 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #16
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
@AzulOscuro I am uncertain why your partner thought this woman was trying to seduce you from what you describe this sounds an everyday interaction between 2 women? You both love dogs and it sounds like you had a lot in common?

I have a female friend, extrovert, dog owner, and she has met several friends in the way you are describing. They walk dogs together, hang out, get breakfast sometimes too. It sounds nice to me? Did your partner say why he thought she was trying to seduce you?

Btw I think you are (in your posts here) an interesting, thoughtful, intelligent and humorous person - I can see why someone would seek your company.
No, no, no.. @Discombobulated, I do appreciate your words towards me but what you describes itís only a mask. I have a lot of respect for people so I try show myself as normal as I can. Iím not like this. Iím a sad and insecure person, often strict (obsessive person) This is what describes myself better. My weakness are animals. They take out the best and the real from me.

I asked my partner why he arrived to the conclusion that this lady had a hidden agenda and he replied that it wasnít normal that all the events happened in such a little period of time, in such a rush. That she invited me to her cottage to spend a time there, knowing that I had a partner.
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #17
AzulOscuro
Magnate
 
AzulOscuro's Avatar
AzulOscuro has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,725
5 yr Member
1,164 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Concerned about closing myself up to people again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2446 View Post
I so understand your feelings on this im very bad at connecting with new people and keeping connection I made,I can express my self here or on other on line stuff but I seem to bore people in person and they drift away,both my husbands I met not face to face so we kinda knew one another before we met.
I don't have confidence in my worth so I'd say I sell myself short I avoid social situations unless I know people ,but my circle is very limited mostly family and I feel if I could push myself to show people the real me I might have more success in connecting maybe we need to connect better with ourselves first to be able to project how special we are to others, im trying mindfullness and meditation to seek understanding of myself and hope that in time my confidence in meeting and connecting will grow,
Apart that your post is full of points I can feel
myself reflected with, you mentioned a very relevant point, to know yourself before. Because just now I have such a mess in my mind that I cannot feel that I have much to offer. Maybe itís because of my own depression that I see things so negative
__________________
Social Anxiety and Depression.
Iím not a native English speaker so take this into account in the way I have to express myself.
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

My Support Forums

My Support Forums is the online community that was originally begun on Psych Central in 2001. It now runs as an independent community, overseen by a group of volunteers & Dr. John Grohol.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.