advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
Mountaindewed
Legendary Wise Elder
 
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed Things suck right now
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the sidewalk ends
Posts: 20,915 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
3,650 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Iíve seen this on Facebook. But they will post something usually they are complaining, but itís of an impressive object. Mostly just impressive to them though. They say something like ďoh I donít know what color to paint my window!Ē And they post a picture of an impressive house. I donít get what the point is except possible low self esteem?

Iíve also seen people do this with their intelligence and how they only have an IQ of 160 and donít understand normal people and how lost they feel without that connection. I had a Pdoc make a humble brag comment about where his other office was located and I thought it was annoying more then impressive.
__________________
Iím the king of risks

Last edited by bluekoi; 06-01-2021 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: To bring within Community Guidelines.
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
divine1966
Legendary
 
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 Tired!!!
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 18,315 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,067 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

everything is relative. This house is impressive to some and nothing to write home about for others. We just bought a new fully renovated condo that we think is great. But compare to lots of houses itís small and unimpressive. Itís not expensive at all. Yet compare to someoneís else itís a mansion.

I think this person has rights to ask how to paint her window even if itís impressive size window by someoneís standard. She still has a dilemma.
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Mountaindewed
Legendary Wise Elder
 
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed Things suck right now
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the sidewalk ends
Posts: 20,915 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
3,650 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

It was just one small gray window of a giant house and backyard that she wanted advice on. But yeah some people did think she just wanted artistic advice. I guess since Iím used to people like that on Facebook who Iíve since deleted I think they are just bragging.

One adult I knew documented her entire road trip to Disney on Facebook. Like what restaurants they stopped at, what food they ate at the parks, the rides etc. it was pretty obnoxious and then she posted 2 weeks later that her kid had gotten a 3 day mild cold version of Covid. He was back to soccer in a week but yeah not sure itís smart to document the trip and then the Covid. But sheís got nice friends. I rarely post anything on Facebook because Iím just turned off by all the attention seeking cringe posts Iíve seen.
__________________
Iím the king of risks
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #4
Mountaindewed
Legendary Wise Elder
 
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed Things suck right now
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the sidewalk ends
Posts: 20,915 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
3,650 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

I post my trips too but just one post after itís over. I donít flood peoples news feed with posts every 15 minutes.
__________________
Iím the king of risks
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
TishaBuv
Wise Elder
 
TishaBuv's Avatar
TishaBuv took a wrong turn in Albuquerque
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,293 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,480 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Thanks for teaching me a new term. I hadnít heard of Ďhumble bragí, lol, so funny!

I remember days before the internet where people would take a million slide photos of their trips and make company sit there and watch their home movies. Now, your friend did the same thing but posted it on social media, making everyone watch her home movies.

There are professional travel celebrities who take trips and report on everywhere they go and eat, etcÖ. People like to watch those shows, but people find it so obnoxious when regular people do it.

I went on Facebook in a rare moment the other day. I see there is a friend suggestion for me. Itís a person who unfriended me years ago. I went right off facebook. Yuck.

I find facebook is evil.

But, I did have one, brief, nice exchange with a person who is one of my Ďfriendsí because I went on to find more information about someone I had just learned about and saw an old post from this friend that I had even liked. So I posted on that old post saying hello to him and sending regards. He replied and we had a little chuckle about something. So, that was a good thing that facebook served.
__________________
"And don't say it hasn't been a little slice of heaven, 'cause it hasn't!"
. About Me--T
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
divine1966
Legendary
 
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 Tired!!!
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 18,315 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,067 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

I am not on social media. I mean I am on some specific forums and I am on Reddit, mainly professional sub Redditís and house decorating/remodeling ones. People post pics to share and ask advice. Iíve learned a lot. Regardless if itís a fancy house or a studio apartment. I donít really care what people do or donít do or what they post. Some travel blogs are interesting because they might give me ideas.

If Facebook is a problem, get off it. I am not on it because of politics and other argumentative nonsense. I donít need that. But travels or houses donít bother me
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:09 AM   #7
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,117 (SuperPoster!)
2 yr Member
178 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
Iíve seen this on Facebook. But they will post something usually they are complaining, but itís of an impressive object. Mostly just impressive to them though. They say something like ďoh I donít know what color to paint my window!Ē And they post a picture of an impressive house. I donít get what the point is except possible low self esteem?

Iíve also seen people do this with their intelligence and how they only have an IQ of 160 and donít understand normal people and how lost they feel without that connection. I had a Pdoc make a humble brag comment about where his other office was located and I thought it was annoying more then impressive.

Studies have proven that IQ does not particularly measure levels of intelligence that we associate with genius. Many times it is measuring analysis and certain logic capabilities that may be the average person or even above average person doesnít have. In fact tests like the SAT have now finally been given good reason to be studied as far as how little they actually represent the abilities and intelligence of the people and students who take them. Anytime anyone brags about their IQ I roll my eyes because if they are that obsessed with IQ numbers then I want them to without the proof that they took a legitimate IQ test. Google IQ test and thousands of results come up that seem legitimate and people will take them and get a number turned out by some algorithm and start talking about it to other people Iíve taken multiple IQ tests my scores have range to something a little above Forrest Gump to something entirely way too smart to actually represent who I am. Iím certainly not stupid but I definitely am not a genius. I feel like if I had the high IQ numbers that some of these tests have given me I would have been noticed at school more. Iím not sure what the legitimate tests and science behind an actual IQ test that measures an actual IQ appropriately is But Iím fairly certain that if you could find it on the Internet it would still be in the minority and it would be covered up and jumped up by all of the search results that say you can get a legitimate IQ result. Iím not even sure what an actual IQ result would give you as far as advantages in your life? When you go for a job interview even if itís at a prestigious place of employment nobody is asking you to without your IQ scores. In fact unless you were doing something I would guess that is extremely involved or some thing very abstract I donít see why they would care. I would love to have an example from somebody of where their actual IQ result mattered in there real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:15 AM   #8
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,117 (SuperPoster!)
2 yr Member
178 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

I use social media to keep in touch with family and friends that Iím close to and also use things like Twitter to keep track of politics and companies Iím interested in. But I donít give it much more than a passing glance when it comes to drama and silly bragging and martyrs on Facebook. People can do what they want I regularly take Internet and social media breaks. Generally speaking once a month I just stay off the Internet for a week or so. I do that because I know Iím not addicted and I know that I can easily just put down the phone but specifically taking a break from all of the googling and posting helps me keep things in perspective. Facebook notifications often pile up for me and Iíll have 40 red dots on top of my Facebook app. Iím not compelled to check it with one notification or 100. When Iím ready Iím ready.
Donít pay attention to any of the drama I feel like if you put your drama on Facebook thereís something wrong in your personal life. Thereís no reason why publicly or otherwise you need to be posting about whatever issues you have in your personal life or mental health. private messaging, places like here, Sites devoted to mental health and things like that are one thing but Facebook Twitter and other social media is completely different. And donít we usually complain about how our mental health and illnesses are used against us? So if we post about it on Facebook then we complain that itís being used against us and I think about it and I wonder why did you put it out on Facebook?And everybody complains about Facebook and how they run everything and monitor everything you do which is another reason why personal important information should not be shared publicly personally I donít even care if you were asking for crisis advice for a child or something major that you just canít wrap your head around. Just keep it to something personal through your friends and family even through private messaging not on Facebook. Once itís on the Internet itís on the Internet forever no matter if itís deleted or removed from some archives thereís always a way to dig it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #9
Mountaindewed
Legendary Wise Elder
 
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed Things suck right now
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the sidewalk ends
Posts: 20,915 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
3,650 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Sarah you said that everything on the internet is forever. Do you know how to get old gmails from March 2020-January 2021 back that I have deleted ďforever?Ē
__________________
Iím the king of risks
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:06 AM   #10
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,117 (SuperPoster!)
2 yr Member
178 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
Sarah you said that everything on the internet is forever. Do you know how to get old gmails from March 2020-January 2021 back that I have deleted ďforever?Ē

Thereís something called the ďway back machine or site quote. I donít know where it is or how to use it. I just know that when things are dug up to smear politicians or prove wrongdoing or character assassination thatís usually what is referenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:37 AM   #11
divine1966
Legendary
 
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 Tired!!!
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 18,315 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,067 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post


Studies have proven that IQ does not particularly measure levels of intelligence that we associate with genius. Many times it is measuring analysis and certain logic capabilities that may be the average person or even above average person doesnít have. In fact tests like the SAT have now finally been given good reason to be studied as far as how little they actually represent the abilities and intelligence of the people and students who take them. Anytime anyone brags about their IQ I roll my eyes because if they are that obsessed with IQ numbers then I want them to without the proof that they took a legitimate IQ test. Google IQ test and thousands of results come up that seem legitimate and people will take them and get a number turned out by some algorithm and start talking about it to other people Iíve taken multiple IQ tests my scores have range to something a little above Forrest Gump to something entirely way too smart to actually represent who I am. Iím certainly not stupid but I definitely am not a genius. I feel like if I had the high IQ numbers that some of these tests have given me I would have been noticed at school more. Iím not sure what the legitimate tests and science behind an actual IQ test that measures an actual IQ appropriately is But Iím fairly certain that if you could find it on the Internet it would still be in the minority and it would be covered up and jumped up by all of the search results that say you can get a legitimate IQ result. Iím not even sure what an actual IQ result would give you as far as advantages in your life? When you go for a job interview even if itís at a prestigious place of employment nobody is asking you to without your IQ scores. In fact unless you were doing something I would guess that is extremely involved or some thing very abstract I donít see why they would care. I would love to have an example from somebody of where their actual IQ result mattered in there real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@sarahsweets IQ, not alone but in conjunction with other evaluations, could help and often is necessary to determine a diagnosis. No itís not always accurate like people with ASD, variety of anxiety disorders etc for them results are often lower than their IQ actually is due to other factors. Or with multi lingual people. Itís tricky...

But you canít really dismiss it completely.

Yes having high IQ can give people advantages in life: one comes in mind is that schooling is easier in general as well as ability to reason and think critically..

No, actual score wonít matter in employment because itís not something employer would ask for. But having above average intelligence surely helps in employment. Actual score doesnít matter unless you are seeking a diagnosis

SAT is not always a valid measure if anything as itís often culturally biased (they try to remedy it now) but you canít dismiss it or claim that it means nothing. Everyone I know with perfect or near perfect SAT score (composite and subtests) have above average ability (likely above average IQ if it was measured) and have great critical thinking and reasoning skills. People dont score high on SAT for no reason. I actually find SAT scores fairly accurate in measuring ability, in many many years of experience in find it to represent abilities fairly accurately. ACT not so much, it seems to measure knowledge more than ability
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
TishaBuv
Wise Elder
 
TishaBuv's Avatar
TishaBuv took a wrong turn in Albuquerque
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,293 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,480 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
Sarah you said that everything on the internet is forever. Do you know how to get old gmails from March 2020-January 2021 back that I have deleted ďforever?Ē
I have seen on real crime shows that computer specialists can recover deleted information. But, I have no idea if a private person can do that or the cost.
__________________
"And don't say it hasn't been a little slice of heaven, 'cause it hasn't!"
. About Me--T
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
TishaBuv
Wise Elder
 
TishaBuv's Avatar
TishaBuv took a wrong turn in Albuquerque
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,293 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,480 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
Iíve seen this on Facebook. But they will post something usually they are complaining, but itís of an impressive object. Mostly just impressive to them though. They say something like ďoh I donít know what color to paint my window!Ē And they post a picture of an impressive house. I donít get what the point is except possible low self esteem?

Iíve also seen people do this with their intelligence and how they only have an IQ of 160 and donít understand normal people and how lost they feel without that connection. I had a Pdoc make a humble brag comment about where his other office was located and I thought it was annoying more then impressive.
Did they really say Ďan IQ of ONLY 160?í Because that would be genius, so saying ONLY makes no sense.
__________________
"And don't say it hasn't been a little slice of heaven, 'cause it hasn't!"
. About Me--T
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #14
Mountaindewed
Legendary Wise Elder
 
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed Things suck right now
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the sidewalk ends
Posts: 20,915 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
3,650 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Did they really say Ďan IQ of ONLY 160?í Because that would be genius, so saying ONLY makes no sense.
Yeah thatís the point of a humble brag. Flaunting your success by pretending to be a dumbass about something. Like being passive aggressive basically.
__________________
Iím the king of risks
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-05-2021, 12:22 AM   #15
mote.of.soul
Legendary
 
mote.of.soul's Avatar
mote.of.soul has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 10,240 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
19.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Maybe on another level, some people may inwardly feel very proud about something they've done or something they own etc. , - nothing wrong with that - but they don't want to come off as arrogant or don't want the 'less fortunates' to 'feel bad'. So, they play this very elaborate game of the 'humblebrag' as you put it. They believe they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes. But, yes, it's pretty transparent sometimes. Doesn't bother me.
__________________
"Obstacles don't block the path. They are the path." - Zen Proverb
mote.of.soul is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #16
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,117 (SuperPoster!)
2 yr Member
178 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
@sarahsweets IQ, not alone but in conjunction with other evaluations, could help and often is necessary to determine a diagnosis. No itís not always accurate like people with ASD, variety of anxiety disorders etc for them results are often lower than their IQ actually is due to other factors. Or with multi lingual people. Itís tricky...

But you canít really dismiss it completely.

Yes having high IQ can give people advantages in life: one comes in mind is that schooling is easier in general as well as ability to reason and think critically..

No, actual score wonít matter in employment because itís not something employer would ask for. But having above average intelligence surely helps in employment. Actual score doesnít matter unless you are seeking a diagnosis

SAT is not always a valid measure if anything as itís often culturally biased (they try to remedy it now) but you canít dismiss it or claim that it means nothing. Everyone I know with perfect or near perfect SAT score (composite and subtests) have above average ability (likely above average IQ if it was measured) and have great critical thinking and reasoning skills. People dont score high on SAT for no reason. I actually find SAT scores fairly accurate in measuring ability, in many many years of experience in find it to represent abilities fairly accurately. ACT not so much, it seems to measure knowledge more than ability

I disagree. When it comes to ikioo my issue lies more with the various unregulated and unsupported tests that you can find everywhere and then people claim they are accurate. The official ones for instance the ones done by schools on my children I believe in. My son has a very high IQ. But he did average on his SATs. Which is another reason why Iím not dismissing necessarily but I donít believe in them. Because he didnít do so great yet he got into a very prestigious law school. He won every ward for his undergraduate and graduated with all kinds of things and awards. including top of his class. He interned with a congressional candidate and has a clerkship set up already. So if weíre going to go on SAT is being accurate how come he wasnít so good yet everything else including extremely hard classes and grades and such were much better than anybody else? Inside heís done so well with the school he got into is giving him $12,000 a year for no reason other than the fact that they really wanted him to except the invitation to attend. I donít think Iíve had an official IQ test but I didnít do great on my SATs at all. Yet I got my degree with a double major and a minor and I was always on the Deanís list. So if you went on my basic reason SATs from high school and then assumed that was how I function in school I donít see how they are accurate. Same thing with my husband he did not do well on his SATs. Yet he also double majored as a geologist. He worked for an environmental farm and didnít like it. So then he apprenticed and now he is an electrician/teledata installer. Of course that was definitely more a career thing versus an education thing but I do know that involves extremely complex math. Also the company that exclusively provides the SATs ETS is very much in favor of not making any changes at all. I think itís a monopoly. If one company exclusively offers a test, and they exclusively offer a prep course, and they exclusively offer the textbooks and materials that you need to succeed what does that tell you! In fact the company is 20 minutes away from me. My stepmother and Brother worked there for about five years. Granted they had nothing to do with the actual test making they did advertising however they do know some of the ins and outs and they agree with me. And why is it that so many colleges and universities are now not requiring the test? If itís so accurate and reliable even though it was a little bit culturally biased why would these universities not want the test at all? They also are not requiring the ACTĎs. And Iím not saying someone who did extremely well on their SATs has a low IQ. Just like Iím not seeing somebody who did poorly has a low IQ. Iím just saying that particular test given in Napa check their way in my opinion is not accurate. In fact itís been proven many times over that it is not accurate at all. One of your poor? You canít afford the prep course. When I did badly the first time my mom enrolled me in the prep course. Do you know what that horse entailed? Tricks to get around the way the questions are asked. They are not straightforward questions. They could easily be straightforward complex math, and logic. But the whole idea of the course was to tell you when to pick letters ABC or D, whether itís good to answer or not answer. How can a test be so reliable if you take a course in order to overcome the tricky questions that are purely made to trick you? I would think a prep course would focus on the materials regarding understanding things like math and English. I did extremely well near perfect score on English and terrible in math. My SAT scores allow me to get into some basic universities in my state. I had no aspirations for anything Ivy League or beyond will be surrounding me. I suppose if I had a major that was a little more exclusive or intense I wouldíve been upset that my opportunities werent better. Some of the people I know that have extremely high nerve genius IQs do not talk about it. I find the people who reference their IQ score say it just for people to be impressed. And because you donít have access to what IQ test they took how do you really know it was an official one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:02 AM   #17
divine1966
Legendary
 
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 Tired!!!
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 18,315 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
1,067 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Did you ask me if I know what SAT prep course entail? Or was it a rhetorical question? Yes I do know. I donít particularly see validity in those prep courses.

Some people donít test well. Itís a given. Itís a reality. There are many reasons why someone would not test well.

I never said that test scores of any kind are set in stone or thatís the only measure or we should all bow to the G-d of IQ and SAT.

But you canít completely dismiss any and all evaluations. Your experiences with those are limited to experiences of your family. Itís valid but itís limited due to small sample of population. @sarahsweets.

I donít know anyone with either high or low IQ who actually walks around talking about it. It would be goofy at best. Do not know who these people you are referring to are who walk around talking about their IQ. Iíve not met any
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #18
WovenGalaxy
Grand Poohbah
 
WovenGalaxy's Avatar
WovenGalaxy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,759 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
2,833 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

I don't pay attention to if something is a "humblebrag" or not. Or maybe I've just never really noticed people on social media doing it. Maybe it's an age or generational thing? Like the younger ppl in their teens and 20s do it?


Bragging about IQ, even as a "humblebrag" is socially ridiculous, lol, and I say this with a little bit of humor: its no wonder they feel disconnected from others making comments like that!


My thoughts of your other example is that it didn't seem to me to be like a "humblebrag." Maybe they just wanted to know what color to paint their window and have a nice looking house. Are they not supposed to post just because their house is nice?
WovenGalaxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #19
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder
 
eskielover's Avatar
eskielover has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 22,968 (SuperPoster!)
15 yr Member
12.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

Lol....it works good when men don't think you know how to do something. Sometimes that "humble brag" about your education & career either puts them in their place OR it opens up an amazing conversation.

Kinda happened to me at the equipment company I bought my lawn tractor from. They kinda thought a woman doesn't know much about what they sell. We got talking about all kinds of technical information & by the end they said I knew more than some guys that come in to purchase equipment. All because I just mentioned in passing what me degree & my career was & just started engaging them in a technical conversation
__________________


Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #20
BethRags
~remember to breathe~
 
BethRags's Avatar
BethRags is practicing healthy breathing for brain, mind, body, spirit.
 
Member Since: Jul 2019
Location: Downtown California
Posts: 8,518 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
10.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Whatís the point of a humblebrag?

I think that humblebrag may be either low self-esteem, or an indirect way to show something off (which may be low self-esteem).
__________________
-Beth






BethRags is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

My Support Forums

My Support Forums is the online community that was originally begun on Psych Central in 2001. It now runs as an independent community, overseen by a group of volunteers & Dr. John Grohol.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.