advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Losing job because of a disability

I been working for a year with one of the district manager when he suddenly started treating me very different after he start yelling at me for not wearing a headset. My district manager started asking me inappropriate question that are discrimination question about my disability and then started making rude comment about my disability. The next day I was ask to speak with my store manager who had informed me that I was supposed to be fired immediately because of my hearing disabilities. I found myself constantly being chewed out for being assigned backline working on a slicer and when I wasn't being chewed out I was being physically pulled off backline and place in a position where I wasn't trained for because of my disability. I been working for a year without anyone ever informing me I was never supposed to have been hired on. I was supposed to have been fired immediately.

I been working for the past six years before being force to quit my job due to the constant discrimination and being threaten all the time. I tried applying for multiple job. I either been informed that there is no place for hearing impairment or a place for a colleges student in the workplace. Anyone ever been through this?
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Yzen
Magnate
 
Yzen's Avatar
Yzen has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: North America
Posts: 2,103
5 yr Member
4,281 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

I'm sorry they treated you that way. They shouldn't be discriminating against you. This government site might be helpful to you.

I hope you find a new job soon.
Yzen is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Quarter life
Elder...and a bit Older
Community Liaison
Quarter life has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: My Own Orbit
Posts: 6,912 (SuperPoster!)
5 yr Member
382 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Unless a specified level of hearing ability is part of your job description...then dismissing you for your hearing disability is most certainly discriminatory. Ask your employer for a detailed list of your task requirements then take it from there. However, Dismissing someone for being unable to fulfil the tasks for which they were employed...this in itself is not discrimination.

Bullying and humiliation is unacceptable though. I hope that you are able to find employment where your skills are valued, and your work environment is more forward thinking.
__________________
The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."
Quarter life is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Anonymous40127
Guest
Anonymous40127 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

As others have said it is discriminatory.


But I feel making comments on your disability alone is ethically wrong and should be liable with you being compensated.

From here are some words of encouragement. It is not in any way related to legal system.




Talking about disabilities, I am a teenager who cannot drive. Yet is forced to go to college by his family. I also have schizophrenia and it's amazing what I can do compared to another person with same disabilities, yet just average compared to a normal person. It hurts me how my father makes comments about how I should've been a "bright student." I am brilliant in my own right, brilliant as a real-life schizophrenic can be, but still do not have any friends or girlfriends for that matter.

I could have been a brilliant surgeon if I didn't have any of these illnesses I have. I sometimes think I am a real life Doctor Strange. I lost most of my mental abilities and physical fitness when I was around three months old. Couple that with the most terrible parenting you can imagine of (like, parents thinking it's good to exclude their son from society because "world is evil" and then expecting him to be a class one officer) and malnutrition, psychological trauma, etc.

Then you get me... simple as 1+1 = 2.

I am actually a special person, special as in the case Freddy Highmore can be in his series the Good Doctor.

But I still have passion for what I do. Helping others in the most scientific way possible (even if I sound ridiculous) I kind of lost my social life due to my disability and a massive part of my academic life, but I am good to go as I think the glass is half full.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Calla lily12
Veteran Member
 
Calla lily12's Avatar
Calla lily12 Calla is 😢 crying
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: a place far away
Posts: 669
3 yr Member
809 hugs
given
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

What about reasonable accommodations? Employers are supposed to give any worker who needs them reasonable accommodations in order for them to do their job.
__________________
I'd rather be a unicorn
Calla lily12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Deejay14
Poohbah
 
Deejay14's Avatar
Deejay14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,329
5 yr Member
35 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Google Job Accomodation Network. That site may be able to help
__________________
True happiness comes not when we get rid of all our problems, but when we change our relationship to them, when we see our problems as a potential source of awakening, opportunities to practice patience and learn.~Richard Carlson
Deejay14 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzen View Post
I'm sorry they treated you that way. They shouldn't be discriminating against you. This government site might be helpful to you.

I hope you find a new job soon.
Okay. Thanks
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter life View Post
Unless a specified level of hearing ability is part of your job description...then dismissing you for your hearing disability is most certainly discriminatory. Ask your employer for a detailed list of your task requirements then take it from there. However, Dismissing someone for being unable to fulfil the tasks for which they were employed...this in itself is not discrimination.

Bullying and humiliation is unacceptable though. I hope that you are able to find employment where your skills are valued, and your work environment is more forward thinking.
I am almost completely deaf in both ears I have to wear a headset that is part of the job
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #9
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyChemist View Post
As others have said it is discriminatory.


But I feel making comments on your disability alone is ethically wrong and should be liable with you being compensated.

From here are some words of encouragement. It is not in any way related to legal system.




Talking about disabilities, I am a teenager who cannot drive. Yet is forced to go to college by his family. I also have schizophrenia and it's amazing what I can do compared to another person with same disabilities, yet just average compared to a normal person. It hurts me how my father makes comments about how I should've been a "bright student." I am brilliant in my own right, brilliant as a real-life schizophrenic can be, but still do not have any friends or girlfriends for that matter.

I could have been a brilliant surgeon if I didn't have any of these illnesses I have. I sometimes think I am a real life Doctor Strange. I lost most of my mental abilities and physical fitness when I was around three months old. Couple that with the most terrible parenting you can imagine of (like, parents thinking it's good to exclude their son from society because "world is evil" and then expecting him to be a class one officer) and malnutrition, psychological trauma, etc.

Then you get me... simple as 1+1 = 2.

I am actually a special person, special as in the case Freddy Highmore can be in his series the Good Doctor.

But I still have passion for what I do. Helping others in the most scientific way possible (even if I sound ridiculous) I kind of lost my social life due to my disability and a massive part of my academic life, but I am good to go as I think the glass is half full.
I am treated as being crazy. Because of my disability!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla lily12 View Post
What about reasonable accommodations? Employers are supposed to give any worker who needs them reasonable accommodations in order for them to do their job.
I live in the right to work state! I don't have to be hired without ever being giving a reason to why. At anytime I am hires I can be fired without giving a reason why because the law has now change.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay14 View Post
Google Job Accomodation Network. That site may be able to help
Thanks I tried that!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #12
Anonymous47864
Guest
Anonymous47864 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Did you call the HR department?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #13
saidso
Veteran Member
 
saidso's Avatar
saidso has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: Europe & UK
Posts: 575
3 yr Member
166 hugs
given
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

My friend's daughter (13 yrs old) is deaf, but hears a little with hearing aids. I didn't know her when she was younger, so it has taken us time to feel safe together - to communicate as best we can. It's a journey. She is very much her own person, but obviously it's harder to be extrovert unless you can sign with others or know people well.

Your job sounds fairly brutal, and I've had a few brutal jobs despite not being deaf. Is there any place in state that helps people with disabilities find jobs with accommodations.

Please forgive if I'm being naÔve about how difficult this is for you but I did an internet search on places where you might find advocacy or supportive networking:
Dealing With Work and Being Deaf - article written in 2018 with resources for finding work, and keeping work.
Facebook networking for deaf people in Arkansas, with links to other Arkansas organisations for deaf people: Arkansas Association of the Deaf - Home | Facebook

Important to have allies: sometimes in life you have to fight when you least feel up to it. When I was very sick indeed and without an income a friend forced me to fight past vomiting, no food, poverty and discrimination: she was absolutely ruthless but I will always thank her or I wouldn't be living an ok life right now.
__________________
*"Fierce <-> Reality"*

oh god I am struggling today, help me to remember how to stay connected and human!

remember: the nut shell against human predators and my own fear!
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
Yzen
Magnate
 
Yzen's Avatar
Yzen has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: North America
Posts: 2,103
5 yr Member
4,281 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Buffy01, I hope things are going ok. This site has a list of companies that have proven to be progressive towards diversity/ disability. I know most of the 50 companies are large companies that might not be in your location, but I know some of them are willing to let employees work remotely in certain situations.
Yzen is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous47864 View Post
Did you call the HR department?
Yes! They agree that I should be fire because of my hearing disability and I was told that I couldn't prove it because it was not in writing.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #16
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidso View Post
My friend's daughter (13 yrs old) is deaf, but hears a little with hearing aids. I didn't know her when she was younger, so it has taken us time to feel safe together - to communicate as best we can. It's a journey. She is very much her own person, but obviously it's harder to be extrovert unless you can sign with others or know people well.

Your job sounds fairly brutal, and I've had a few brutal jobs despite not being deaf. Is there any place in state that helps people with disabilities find jobs with accommodations.

Please forgive if I'm being naÔve about how difficult this is for you but I did an internet search on places where you might find advocacy or supportive networking:
Dealing With Work and Being Deaf - article written in 2018 with resources for finding work, and keeping work.
Facebook networking for deaf people in Arkansas, with links to other Arkansas organisations for deaf people: Arkansas Association of the Deaf - Home | Facebook

Important to have allies: sometimes in life you have to fight when you least feel up to it. When I was very sick indeed and without an income a friend forced me to fight past vomiting, no food, poverty and discrimination: she was absolutely ruthless but I will always thank her or I wouldn't be living an ok life right now.
We have some help but i don't meet the qualifications even though I had severe hearing lost. I called around and asked what kind of training there is for deaf people and was told I didn't meet the qualifications without a reasonable explanations. I called the school for the deaf to see what they could offer? They couldn't help much.

I once had a district manager ripped an application out out of my hand because I had mention of my hearing disability and some of job interview I was chewed out because I had applied to a job and was told inc couldn't be hired because they is no work place for deaf people especially because I am on disability. I don't sign very well however because of my disability I was able to help with deaf customer because I could lip read. Mostly the corporation feel than I might cause the company to be sued if i were to get hurt.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzen View Post
Buffy01, I hope things are going ok. This site has a list of companies that have proven to be progressive towards diversity/ disability. I know most of the 50 companies are large companies that might not be in your location, but I know some of them are willing to let employees work remotely in certain situations.
That true!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 03-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #18
ShaneG
Account Suspended
ShaneG has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2020
Location: Unknown
Posts: 707
1 yr Member
371 hugs
given
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy01 View Post
I am almost completely deaf in both ears I have to wear a headset that is part of the job
Yeah, I am worried about the effect that EH will have upon my hearing and ear canal, hoping to leave this island before they actually achieve something like this.
ShaneG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-22-2021, 06:18 AM   #19
ShaneG
Account Suspended
ShaneG has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2020
Location: Unknown
Posts: 707
1 yr Member
371 hugs
given
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

The only reasonable accommodation I found was being mobbed and set up.
ShaneG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #20
Buffy01
Elder
 
Buffy01's Avatar
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,316 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
6,292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Losing job because of a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous47864 View Post
Did you call the HR department?
No. I was going to but they said it would make it worst on me if I did. HR really donít care about discrimination.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

My Support Forums

My Support Forums is the online community that was originally begun on Psych Central in 2001. It now runs as an independent community, overseen by a group of volunteers & Dr. John Grohol.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.