lynn P.
Legendary

Member Since Feb 2009
2,432 hugs
given
Default Aug 09, 2010 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indie'sOK View Post
You handled that very well Lynn - I wish I could imagine my mom being like that!! I'm having a tough time with this and I don't know who to ask about it. I can't talk to T about it because that's just weird. I feel guilty when I do it because I'm worried somehow my parents would find out or that they wouldn't approve. Sounds dumb I know.
Thank you Indie. Like I said earlier in the thread.....this subject came up at the spur of the moment. I sensed she was feeling guilty about something and my senses told me it might be this...so I matter of factly put it out there(like it was no big deal). She immediately grabbed onto to it and I could see the relief on her face. I honestly never anticipated discussing it, unless I happened to walk in on it. She's so innocent and she was proud of herself that she had the 'courage' to talk about it.

I have discussed the subject of sex with my almost 13 yr old but haven't discussed masturbation. I saw this discussed on Oprah and the sex expert encouraged all parents to bring this up at the right time - the theory being if they feel okay satisfying themselves, this may curb looking outside for sex at too young an age. The audience gasped when she said this lol. I admit it's easier to talk about sex, than masturbation and I admit I was sweating at the brow when this happened lol.

As you can see from this thread, many people have mix feelings, especially the older generation, that was taught - it's a sin or weakness. Unless you have that 'open book' kind of bond, I don't advise you bringing it up. To be honest I think it's hard to find someone who doesn't do it. As long as it's done in moderation and not to deprive a partner from sex...I think it's fine. It would be sad if we can't enjoy our own bodies. Sadly my own mother never discussed sex at all with me, so I didn't want to make the same mistake with my own girls.

A couple times I was tempted to delete this thread(felt awkward at times), but now I'm happy I didn't and proud of everyone for the way they've discussed this topic.

*Practice on-line safety.
*Cheaters - collecting jar of hearts.
*Make your mess, your message.
*"Be the change you want to see" (Gandhi)

Last edited by lynn P.; Aug 09, 2010 at 09:39 PM..

Thanks for this!
FooZe, Indie'sOK