UpDownAround
Magnate

Member Since Jul 2017
493 hugs
given
Default Nov 22, 2018 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy momma View Post
It's actually healthier to way less often than more, so not a cop out at all. It is normal for your body weight to fluctuate within a few pounds. Always frustrating when it goes up, but it'll often come back down again.
I disagree about the health aspect, but would be interested in seeing any data that might back up what you are saying. I like to weigh frequently exactly because of the fluctuations. If you weigh infrequently you may think you see a rise or fall between two weigh ins because one was at a spike up and the other down. Weighing infrequently gives you fewer data points and therefore less accuracy. If you weigh frequently, you get a better idea of how the fluctuations average out.

According to the data at the National Weight Control Registry, 75% of people who have kept 30 or more pounds of weight loss from coming back for more than a year weigh themselves at least once a week. I will be eligible to participate in that study in 3 months. Anyway, if you follow the link from that summary page into the detailed studies, the correlation of frequent weighing to successful maintenance continues to rise all the way down to daily weighing.

From failures in the past, my own anecdata corroborates that infrequent weighing seems to be a contributing factor to unintentional weight gain and by the time I noticed it required a major effort rather than a minor adjustment to get back on track. Because it was a major effort, I would put it off. The next hing I knew, I had gained a lot of it back, sometimes all the way back up to my highest obese weight. Then after a while (sometimes quite a while) I would get motivated again and the cycle would repeat. Weighing often is one of the most important things I am doing to make this time different.

It is possible to succeed without frequent weighing; it just isn't as likely.

I am near the top of my maintenance range. I lost ~65 pounds to get below a BMI of 25 and the top of my range is a little below that. I have a 10 pound range so that I can stay inside it even with spikes. I think it's a cop out not to weigh for a few days because I know some spikes will go over and I am avoiding seeing them.

|And in the end it's only round and round
|
Pink Floyd - Us and Them
|
|bipolar II, substance use disorder, ADD
|lamictal, straterra
|

Last edited by UpDownAround; Nov 22, 2018 at 11:35 AM..