View Single Post
Hummingbird1950

Member Since May 2011
66 hugs
given
Default Aug 21, 2019 at 09:56 AM

This is great feedback Wishful Thank you and thank you for going out on a limb with this and brainstorming about this issue I am facing. What you say makes sense. I guess I will give it more time and yes, I did do alot of the talking.

My psych doc wanted me to go into partial hospitalization for stabilization and structure after observing this traumatic event, but my insurance is not being accepted (Medicare) + Supplement in any hospitals in my area at this time. I do feel I need alot more intensive care.

I asked if there were support groups that my therapist participates in or suggests and she just shook her head no.

Seeing her once a week is not enough for me right now too, I think that is what I am feeling right now.

Birdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Well I am going to go out on a limb here and support the idea that maybe there is nothing wrong with the therapist and that expectations might be high.

Perhaps I am off base to include the OP in this crowd but I see all the time the expectation that a therapist is supposed to be an end-all-cure-all. I would not expect headway to be made after only three visits - especially if the client's issues are serious, complicated, and/or multi-faceted. What I see is a therapist in the initial observation stage. They may simply not be saying anything or interjecting on account the OP is talkative, animated, and eager to be communicative. If the OP is freely talking about themselves, the problems they are having, and their life situation the therapist may see no need AT THIS POINT to ask questions and otherwise get heavily involved.

I do an awful lot of talking in my own sessions while my therapist takes copious notes. I don't really recall us getting down to work until the first month went by. I myself incidentally am seeing a therapist for traumas that occurred while in the military. We didn't get right down to dealing with the trauma. Instead, she seemed to do a lot of observing in the beginning, having me do homework, and then worked first with me on the symptoms like the anxiety. It took time to start the nitty-gritty work.
Hummingbird1950 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote