advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Anonymous32712
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Feb 12, 2011 at 03:02 PM
  #1
My counselor that I've seen for eight months and I have noticed that even though I've worked through an enormous amount of intrapsyhic trauma that I still tend to exhibit ADHD symptoms. I also mentioned to him that I had been diagnosed as a child with ADHD by a clinical psychologist and received medical treatment for it.

At first, I thought I may have a mood disorder.

But I notice that even when I'm 'depressed' I continue wanting to be stimulated unless I'm physically exhausted (though not as much as when I'm more so 'normal'). I may distract myself if I feel depressed with some other 'activity' (be it physical or mental).

I notice that when I'm more 'normal' it appears as if I'm 'manic'. I simply want to be 'doing' something (be it physical or mental!). But I don't feel as if I have an over-exaggerated sense of self nor any sort of delusion or psychosis.

Regardless of whether I feel 'depressed' or 'manic' I tend to sleep a regular six to eight hours every night. I have a high sex drive regardless of whether I feel 'depressed' or 'manic'. My thoughts move rather quickly regardless of whether I feel 'depressed' or 'manic'. The moods may taint the thoughts, but the thoughts nevertheless travel at my 'normal' speed regardless. And my speech doesn't fluctuate either, as I tend to communicate rather consistently.

It feels like an overlap of ADHD and typical manic symptoms, and I become confused as to whether or not it is ADHD or a mood disorder.

So, I would like some help in understanding this phenomena. I would gladly like to hear from those who have a similar issue like myself!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Vita
Member
 
Vita's Avatar
 
Member Since Oct 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 109
13
Default Feb 13, 2011 at 03:24 AM
  #2
Most of those with childhood ADHD still have it as adults, and medication helps a lot. Most also have one or more other disorders. Bipolar is one of those and probably underdiagnosed.
I have that combination, and now, with meds for both, have got a much better life.
The experts still quarrel about the coexsistence, my experience is that it does.
Vita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Anonymous32712
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Feb 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
Most of those with childhood ADHD still have it as adults, and medication helps a lot.
I will remember that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
...Most also have one or more other disorders. Bipolar is one of those and probably underdiagnosed.
I have that combination, and now, with meds for both, have got a much better life.
The experts still quarrel about the coexsistence, my experience is that it does.
I do remember reading a section in "Driven to Distraction" about the coexistence of ADHD with, say, depression, bipolar disorder, dissociative and borderline personality disorder. Very enlightening! =)

I feel that I do struggle with my moods in a neurobiological sense. But I'm also reluctant to pursue psychiatric treatment. I intern for a psychiatrist at the moment. Through what I've seen I'm wary of the information that one's insurance company has on one's mental health.

Fortunately my counselor is helping me research other means of pursuing psychiatric treatment. =)
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
MissMay1977
Member
 
MissMay1977's Avatar
 
Member Since Jan 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 89
13
Default Feb 20, 2011 at 06:34 PM
  #4
I am diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD. Have you ever heard of Dr. Amen? He believes there is more than 1 kind of ADD/ADHD and one of those is called a "Ring of Fire " and it is thought to be closely related to Bipolar.

It appears that since you are not losing sleep and are not suffering from grandosity that you are not experiencing classic mania. I would research ring of fire ADD and see what you think about that. good luck.
MissMay1977 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Anonymous32712
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Feb 20, 2011 at 07:02 PM
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMay1977 View Post
I am diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD. Have you ever heard of Dr. Amen? He believes there is more than 1 kind of ADD/ADHD and one of those is called a "Ring of Fire " and it is thought to be closely related to Bipolar.

It appears that since you are not losing sleep and are not suffering from grandosity that you are not experiencing classic mania. I would research ring of fire ADD and see what you think about that. good luck.
I will! If you happen to have a link about this 'Ring of Fire' ADHD, would you share it? That'd help too!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
HopefulTmrw
Junior Member
 
Member Since Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10
13
Default Mar 30, 2011 at 01:32 PM
  #6
I have Bipolar Disorder Type I & adult ADHD. Going only by your post, you are not describing mania. There is a huge difference between mania and hypomania as well. You might want to look into that. You would not be able to successfully function if you were manic. With bipolar disorder, in general, you have "episodes," so you would be manic or hypomanic consistently for several days, depressed consistently at other times for weeks at a time and then would also have periods of "normalcy." If you are shifting more rapidly and have no times in which you are free of symptoms, it is less likely that you have BP. (There is a rapid cycling form of BP, but I'm trying not to complicate the issue any further. What you are describing does not sound like that anyway.) And obviously you can't diagnose over the internet, but especially since your sleep is within normal range, BP is unlikely. I have looked into the "Ring of Fire" form of ADHD like the other poster was talking about, and I agree that you may want to look into that. He has a website & the library should also have one of his books that talks about that. I'm just using my phone otherwise I'd google the site for you myself. Just google "Dr Amen." Hope you can find some relief regardless.
HopefulTmrw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
confused777
New Member
 
Member Since Apr 2010
Posts: 5
14
Default Apr 29, 2011 at 08:59 PM
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reflex View Post
My counselor that I've seen for eight months and I have noticed that even though I've worked through an enormous amount of intrapsyhic trauma that I still tend to exhibit ADHD symptoms. I also mentioned to him that I had been diagnosed as a child with ADHD by a clinical psychologist and received medical treatment for it.

At first, I thought I may have a mood disorder.

But I notice that even when I'm 'depressed' I continue wanting to be stimulated unless I'm physically exhausted (though not as much as when I'm more so 'normal'). I may distract myself if I feel depressed with some other 'activity' (be it physical or mental).

I notice that when I'm more 'normal' it appears as if I'm 'manic'. I simply want to be 'doing' something (be it physical or mental!). But I don't feel as if I have an over-exaggerated sense of self nor any sort of delusion or psychosis.

Regardless of whether I feel 'depressed' or 'manic' I tend to sleep a regular six to eight hours every night. I have a high sex drive regardless of whether I feel 'depressed' or 'manic'. My thoughts move rather quickly regardless of whether I feel 'depressed' or 'manic'. The moods may taint the thoughts, but the thoughts nevertheless travel at my 'normal' speed regardless. And my speech doesn't fluctuate either, as I tend to communicate rather consistently.

It feels like an overlap of ADHD and typical manic symptoms, and I become confused as to whether or not it is ADHD or a mood disorder.

So, I would like some help in understanding this phenomena. I would gladly like to hear from those who have a similar issue like myself!
To help answer your question you can have both ADD & Biplor...I have been seeing a pysciatrist for years for biplor & my doctor has been confused that I wasn't getting much better & then I remembered I was diagnoisd with ADD when I was in my 30"s but never really took it serious. Now my doctor has put me on adderal along with my other meds...I am still struggling ...however I do know feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel & determined to live as normal live as I can....I hope this has help with your question & good luck
confused777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
BatsAndButterflies
Virtual Vigilante
 
BatsAndButterflies's Avatar
 
Member Since May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,902
14
705 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 21, 2011 at 01:53 AM
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reflex View Post
I will! If you happen to have a link about this 'Ring of Fire' ADHD, would you share it? That'd help too!
I have a book by him and describes "Ring of Fire" ADD as: Angry, aggressive, sensitive to noise, light, clothes, and touch; often inflexible, experiencing periods of mean, unpredictable behavior, and grandiose thinking.

The book is called Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD by Dr. Daniel G. Amen, M.D. if you want to look into it... It describes the 6 types and says some people can have more than one. I qualify for 4 of the types.

__________________
Is it ADHD? Or it is or Bipolar?
Happy Birthday to Me.

“Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."

Is it ADHD? Or it is or Bipolar?
BatsAndButterflies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply
attentionThis is an old thread. You probably should not post your reply to it, as the original poster is unlikely to see it.

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

My Support Forums

My Support Forums is the online community that was originally begun as the Psych Central Forums in 2001. It now runs as an independent self-help support group community for mental health, personality, and psychological issues and is overseen by a group of dedicated, caring volunteers from around the world.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.