advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
SoupDragon
Elder
 
SoupDragon's Avatar
SoupDragon has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: in a cave
Posts: 6,977
10 yr Member
1,099 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 17, 2017 at 06:06 AM
  #1
I have been wondering about this, this morning. How would I know that I was "cured"? What would be different for me? What am I trying to achieve for myself?

I have felt less overwhelmed generally today, not sure if it's because I took a half sleeping tablet last night, so still a bit sedated. I did notice a little bit of rising panic when I was shopping for food. I have food issues, so not sure if it was because I was surrounded by the stuff, or whether it felt overwhelming trying to make decisions in there.

So one thing that would let me know I was "better" would ge freedom from those panic / anxious thoughts. But beyond that I am not sure what I want for me.

Do you know what you are hoping for?

__________________
Soup
SoupDragon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
RubyRae, Trace14

advertisement
Trace14
Grand Magnate
 
Trace14's Avatar
Trace14 drowning
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,009
8 yr Member
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 12:50 AM
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
I have been wondering about this, this morning. How would I know that I was "cured"? What would be different for me? What am I trying to achieve for myself?

I have felt less overwhelmed generally today, not sure if it's because I took a half sleeping tablet last night, so still a bit sedated. I did notice a little bit of rising panic when I was shopping for food. I have food issues, so not sure if it was because I was surrounded by the stuff, or whether it felt overwhelming trying to make decisions in there.

So one thing that would let me know I was "better" would ge freedom from those panic / anxious thoughts. But beyond that I am not sure what I want for me.

Do you know what you are hoping for?
Not get so stressed about leaving the house. Be able to block the memories that so bind my mind. Get back to my old self, whoever that was.

__________________


"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
RubyRae
leomama
Grand Magnate
 
leomama's Avatar
leomama has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,703
10 yr Member
172 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 04:19 AM
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
I have been wondering about this, this morning. How would I know that I was "cured"? What would be different for me? What am I trying to achieve for myself?

I have felt less overwhelmed generally today, not sure if it's because I took a half sleeping tablet last night, so still a bit sedated. I did notice a little bit of rising panic when I was shopping for food. I have food issues, so not sure if it was because I was surrounded by the stuff, or whether it felt overwhelming trying to make decisions in there.

So one thing that would let me know I was "better" would ge freedom from those panic / anxious thoughts. But beyond that I am not sure what I want for me.

Do you know what you are hoping for?


What does a cure look like? a cure? I'm
Just hoping I can support myself with this disorder. I've never thought about a cure. It's a disability. There's no cure for that. You live with it.
leomama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
SoupDragon
Elder
 
SoupDragon's Avatar
SoupDragon has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: in a cave
Posts: 6,977
10 yr Member
1,099 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM
  #4
I guess that burst my bubble. I've been hoping that I could move on from all of this, be able to live my life without being, what feels like, chained.

But right now, I refuse to give up and accept that this is as good as it gets,

__________________
Soup
SoupDragon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
RubyRae, Trace14
leomama
Grand Magnate
 
leomama's Avatar
leomama has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,703
10 yr Member
172 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 02:20 PM
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
I guess that burst my bubble. I've been hoping that I could move on from all of this, be able to live my life without being, what feels like, chained.

But right now, I refuse to give up and accept that this is as good as it gets,


What does a cure look like? good luck What does a cure look like?What does a cure look like?
leomama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Thanks for this!
SoupDragon
Trace14
Grand Magnate
 
Trace14's Avatar
Trace14 drowning
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,009
8 yr Member
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 02:27 PM
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
I guess that burst my bubble. I've been hoping that I could move on from all of this, be able to live my life without being, what feels like, chained.

But right now, I refuse to give up and accept that this is as good as it gets,
Keep pushing and not give up hope that things can get better.If you keep working towards that it will get better in some ways. Our issues is with memories and they will always be in our head. But how we deal with them is the key. How much impact we allow them to have can make us feel better. Total cure, no, it's because we are plagued with something we can control, memories. But it can get better no doubt if you commit to putting the work in.

__________________


"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Thanks for this!
leomama, RubyRae, SoupDragon, TrailRunner14
RubyRae
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 857
5 yr Member
455 hugs
given
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 02:40 PM
  #7
Although there's no 'cure', we can learn ways to manage symptoms and have more good days than bad ones.

I refuse to just give in or give up,I will always try to improve myself.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
Trace14
 
Thanks for this!
SoupDragon, TrailRunner14
RubyRae
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 857
5 yr Member
455 hugs
given
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 02:49 PM
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomama View Post
What does a cure look like? It's a disability. There's no cure for that. You live with it.
It's not necessarily a disability for everyone that has it,many people learn to manage it and lead very productive lives,so I disagree that it's a 'disability'.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
Trace14
 
Thanks for this!
SoupDragon, TrailRunner14
Trace14
Grand Magnate
 
Trace14's Avatar
Trace14 drowning
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,009
8 yr Member
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 06:09 PM
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRae View Post
It's not necessarily a disability for everyone that has it,many people learn to manage it and lead very productive lives,so I disagree that it's a 'disability'.
I agree, it doesn't have to be a disability, but it can be for some. Every situation is different, every person is different, so with PTSD or CPTSD it can be one or the other.

__________________


"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Thanks for this!
RubyRae, SoupDragon
leomama
Grand Magnate
 
leomama's Avatar
leomama has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,703
10 yr Member
172 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2017 at 07:29 PM
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRae View Post
It's not necessarily a disability for everyone that has it,many people learn to manage it and lead very productive lives,so I disagree that it's a 'disability'.


What does a cure look like? you think a person chooses a disability?
leomama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
reb569
Poohbah
 
reb569's Avatar
reb569 ??!!??
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,229
5 yr Member
297 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 19, 2017 at 01:51 AM
  #11
Weighing in late on this one. I couldn't come up with an answer yesterday. I think cure is a strong word and it's not feasible for most, however, based on everyone's unique situation, their outlook differs.

I guess my struggle with the word cure is, how do we know what we would be like if we hadn't experienced the neglect or abuse we did as children? I for one sense that I was meant to be an outgoing, extroverted type, the center of attention. In reality, that will never happen. CPTSD has stolen that from me. My hope is to learn to manage it the best I can and do the best I can with my life.

__________________
"Do you know whatís really scary? You want to forget something. Totally wipe it off your mind. But you never can. It canít go away, you see. AndÖ and it follows you around like a ghost."
~ A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa, Hongryeon) (2003)

"I feel like an outsider, and I always will feel like one. Iíve always felt that I wasnít a member of any particular group."
~ Anne Rice
reb569 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
RubyRae, Trace14
 
Thanks for this!
RubyRae, SoupDragon, Trace14
Blaire
Member
 
Blaire's Avatar
Blaire versus Blaire
 
Member Since: May 2016
Location: California
Posts: 382
5 yr Member
65 hugs
given
Default Jun 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM
  #12
I think that for me, getting better would mean no longer letting what happened define me. I think it would mean I can make my own decisions about what I want for my life, not just living for justice and always feeling defeated and broken. I think it would mean feeling like I am stronger than it, not the other way around.

I know that it can be extremely debilitating and creates so many barriers and takes away your freedom. I know that no one is the same after a major trauma. But I do believe it's possible to grow stronger than it and live life on our own terms. At least, that's my hope.

__________________
▽VII△VIII
Blaire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
RubyRae, Trace14
 
Thanks for this!
Daisy Dead Petals, SoupDragon
Trace14
Grand Magnate
 
Trace14's Avatar
Trace14 drowning
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,009
8 yr Member
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaire View Post
I think that for me, getting better would mean no longer letting what happened define me. I think it would mean I can make my own decisions about what I want for my life, not just living for justice and always feeling defeated and broken. I think it would mean feeling like I am stronger than it, not the other way around.

I know that it can be extremely debilitating and creates so many barriers and takes away your freedom. I know that no one is the same after a major trauma. But I do believe it's possible to grow stronger than it and live life on our own terms. At least, that's my hope.
That sounds reasonable and an awesome plan. Totally agree with you.
Welcome to PC!

__________________


"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Thanks for this!
Blaire, SoupDragon
SoupDragon
Elder
 
SoupDragon's Avatar
SoupDragon has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: in a cave
Posts: 6,977
10 yr Member
1,099 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 01:37 AM
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomama View Post
What does a cure look like? you think a person chooses a disability?
For me this is about the definition. A pianist may have a disability if they loose a finger tip, for someone else this may not have a big impact on their life. Someone with a broken leg may be temporarily disabled.

I think "labels" can be helpful to a point, but for me, thinking I am "disabled" would mean not trying to make things better for myself, to lose hope. I do not want to be defined by that label. However accept for others, this may be helpful to them.

__________________
Soup
SoupDragon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
RubyRae, Trace14
SoupDragon
Elder
 
SoupDragon's Avatar
SoupDragon has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: in a cave
Posts: 6,977
10 yr Member
1,099 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 01:39 AM
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaire View Post
I think that for me, getting better would mean no longer letting what happened define me. I think it would mean I can make my own decisions about what I want for my life, not just living for justice and always feeling defeated and broken. I think it would mean feeling like I am stronger than it, not the other way around.

I know that it can be extremely debilitating and creates so many barriers and takes away your freedom. I know that no one is the same after a major trauma. But I do believe it's possible to grow stronger than it and live life on our own terms. At least, that's my hope.
Thank-you fior sharing this. That is exactly what I want for myself.

__________________
Soup
SoupDragon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
Trace14
 
Thanks for this!
Blaire
leomama
Grand Magnate
 
leomama's Avatar
leomama has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,703
10 yr Member
172 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 09:53 AM
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
For me this is about the definition. A pianist may have a disability if they loose a finger tip, for someone else this may not have a big impact on their life. Someone with a broken leg may be temporarily disabled.


I think "labels" can be helpful to a point, but for me, thinking I am "disabled" would mean not trying to make things better for myself, to lose hope. I do not want to be defined by that label. However accept for others, this may be helpful to them.


What does a cure look like? I am talking about a work related term.
leomama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Thanks for this!
SoupDragon
Gus1234U
Seeker
 
Gus1234U's Avatar
Gus1234U AWAKEN~!
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 9,204
10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM
  #17
do not listen to people who say things like: Everyone, Always, Never...

there have been recoveries, i know because i am one. i worked HARD to rebalance my brain chemistry without psych meds, which are just another imbalance, and to restructure my belief and thought systems, so i could train my mind to be more positive. if you want to do the work, you can certainly improve to the point where life is bearable....

p.s. my pdoc says i'm "in remission", cause he doesn't believe in recovery, either.... but i haven't taken anything but a valium in over 15 yrs. , and that is partly for a sleep disorder and restless leg syndrome (which could probably be improved by more exercize ).

__________________
AWAKEN~!
Gus1234U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Thanks for this!
RubyRae, SoupDragon, Trace14
leomama
Grand Magnate
 
leomama's Avatar
leomama has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,703
10 yr Member
172 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM
  #18
What does a cure look like? there's nothing wrong with psych meds and success means being able to support yourself, however it doesn't change the fact you have a disability, you've just learned to adapt . Having a disability is not that bad. If you don't have one don't sweat it.
leomama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
RubyRae
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 857
5 yr Member
455 hugs
given
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 09:49 PM
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomama View Post
What does a cure look like? there's nothing wrong with psych meds and success means being able to support yourself, however it doesn't change the fact you have a disability, you've just learned to adapt . Having a disability is not that bad. If you don't have one don't sweat it.
If it's a 'disability' then why aren't those that are diagnosed with it automatically approved for disability benefits when they apply?It's because it's a disorder,with varying degrees of symptoms and problems for each person that has it,just being diagnosed with it doesn't make it a disability.

There's a big difference in a disorder and a disability.Some people with PTSD(or cPTSD) do become disabled from it,unable to function,unable to work while others have or do find ways to manage their condition and are able to be high functioning and work a job.Each person is different.

I was told after quite a few years of therapy that I still have constant,chronic PTSD(cPTSD),but I don't consider myself disabled,I have learned to live with my disorder and constantly work to manage my symptoms.I am not considered disabled by any MH professionals,I have an illness that I will always have.No different than any other illness,such as high blood pressure or diabetes that can be managed but not cured.

I'm sorry if you have been disabled by PTSD,not everyone is though.

Last edited by RubyRae; Jun 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: added something
RubyRae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
 
Hugs from:
Trace14
 
Thanks for this!
SoupDragon
Trace14
Grand Magnate
 
Trace14's Avatar
Trace14 drowning
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,009
8 yr Member
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2017 at 10:10 PM
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRae View Post
If it's a 'disability' then why aren't those that are diagnosed with it automatically approved for disability benefits when they apply?It's because it's a disorder,with varying degrees of symptoms and problems for each person that has it,just being diagnosed with it doesn't make it a disability.

There's a big difference in a disorder and a disability.Some people with PTSD(or cPTSD) do become disabled from it,unable to function,unable to work while others have or do find ways to manage their condition and are able to be high functioning and work a job.Each person is different.

I was told after quite a few years of therapy that I still have constant,chronic PTSD(cPTSD),but I don't consider myself disabled,I have learned to live with my disorder and constantly work to manage my symptoms.I am not considered disabled by any MH professionals,I have an illness that I will always have.No different than any other illness,such as high blood pressure or diabetes that can be managed but not cured.

I'm sorry if you have been disabled by PTSD,not everyone is though.
Very true.

__________________


"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

My Support Forums

My Support Forums is the online community that was originally begun as the Psych Central Forums in 2001. It now runs as an independent self-help support group community for mental health, personality, and psychological issues and is overseen by a group of dedicated, caring volunteers from around the world.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.